Herpes Expert Forum
HSV 2 high antibodies Test Question

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

HSV 2 high antibodies Test Question

I am a 57 YO male and had unprotected sex with my new girl friend.  Heat of the moment and she did not tell me she was HSV 2 infected, has been for over 20 years and she takes a acyclovir.  She had not had an out break recently and has not had one since.   I had a HSV 1 and 2- Specific Ab, IgG test done at Lab Corp One week later.

The results were 5.40 High  index 0.00-0.09 on the HSV 2 it indicates Positive as >1.09

If I am reading this right it appears I have HSV 2.  In one week would my exposure already be this high or is it possible I already had the antibodies?  I have never been tested before and have never had symptoms either.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not understanding the results.  Perhaps you can clarify. It the reading for HSV 2 5.04?    If yes, then I would not expect that if you got infected one week prior, that the levels would be this high in that short a time, no.  I've never seen that.  

If I am reading this correctly, your HSV 2 antibody result is 5.40, suggesting that you have been previously infected and just weren't aware of it.  If yes, and this relationship works out, it seems that you are both infected and have no worries about herpes!  If I'm reading this incorrectly, please let me know and I'll issue more thoughts on the subject.

Terri