Herpes Expert Forum
HSV-2 ??

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

HSV-2 ??

Terri,

I had a new sex partner 10 weeks ago. Then again 8 weeks ago.I know HSV is transmitted by skin to skin but fyi I did wear a condom. It is hard to think back and remember what happened first and in what order but I will try my best. 1) either shooting pain in my left leg on occasion(maybe 2-3 times) or an extremely itchy rash on my tailbone 2) 4 or 5 bug-bite type raised bumps appeared on my upper left buttock cheek. In the days to follow another would appear heading south along the butt cheek. Then another and then another.  for a total of about 7. I have HSV-1 these did not look like a typical cold sore or hurt. They were redish and itched, they did not blister unless the blister was so small I couldn't tell, they just kind of dried up left a little flaky crust and eventually went back to normal.3) the creases in the crotch area under the scrotum was discolored. 4)inflamed moist rash around the anus that stayed within the crack. It cleared up within 24-36 hours. About 3 weeks had passed for all this. Week 4 got tested with IGG type specific results HSV-1 postive and HSV-2  negative. Since then(the last 4-5 weeks)  it seems as if I keep getting another red bump that is a little itchy at first but stays around for 5 days or so kinda dries up (I cant ever rember peeling any kind of scab off any of these bumps but again they just get a little crusty looking and then goes away.unfortunately once it goes away another pops up. uggghh!  I also keep getting a nueropathy tingly burning in my left arm, forearm, wrist or hand.It comes and goes some days hardly anything some days a nuisance. And the in the last 2 weeks a second rash (not as severe) around the anus. Do you think all this is HSV-2 ? Is it stress/anxiety that has kept it around so long. Dr. prescribed meds for anxiety/stress and it seems as if things are slowing down in the last 3day. Your thought s and opinions are appreciated. Thanks for your time
I can see why you have herpes as a concern.  Some of the symptoms that you describe could be herpes related, yes.  Have you been to see a health care provider when you had these symptoms present?  That's the best thing to do here, most certainly.  You've got things kind of coming and going quickly, so it would be important to try to be seen when you have an area that looks concerning to you on your skin.

Condoms reduce the risk of transmitting herpes by about 30% overall, so they are useful, but not perfect.  In the meanwhile, keep waiting for good timing for the antibody test.  If you want to test again at 3-4 months, and you are negative for both, then I think you can consider yourself uninfected.  From your post, I can't tell exactly how long after the exposure you got tested - was it four weeks after exposure or after symptoms should up?  

Terri
I was tested 4 weeks after the 1st exposure. I want to say symtoms (symptoms) began just before the 2nd exposure but unsure.  I am currently around 8 weeks past exposure. Everything seems to be cleared up at the moment. finally !!!
I'm glad.  If you want to be more certain, test 4 months from any possible exposure.

Terri