Herpes Expert Forum
HSV-2

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

HSV-2

I had unprotected sex with a woman almost a year ago.  The next day I noticed that there was some “chaffing” on the shaft of my penis.  It went way in about a week.  I didn't think anything of it.  A few weeks ago I was getting an annual blood test and I decided to get a STD panel so as to be safe not sorry.  I expected all of the results to be negative as I have not had any sores, bumps, or anything else of concern in my groin area as well as the fact that I have not had sex since the unprotected sex I had almost a year ago.  LabCorp did the tests and all were negative, including HSV-1, except HSV-2 was positive with a 1.16 number.  After receiving this result I was panicked and scared.  I did some research and learned that false positives do occur with a number as low as mine.  I learned that one can have HSV-2 and not show any symptoms.  I learned that LabCorp uses a Captive test and Quest Labs uses a Herpeselect test.  I also learned that the Western Blot test performed at the University of Washington is the most conclusive test.  At this point, I had a HSV-1 and HSV-2 test panel done at Quest Labs.  I just received the results and they are as follows:  HSV-1 negative with a 0.38 number, and HSV-2 negative with a 0.23 number.  While I do feel some relief, I am still concerned that it is possible that I am HSV-2 positive.  I certainly do not want to believe that I am negative and actually be positive and then have sex and give HSV-2 to someone.  My question is as follows:  Do you believe I am definitively negative and a Western Blot test is unnecessary?  In advance, I would like to write that I appreciate the advice from all and especially from Terri Warren.  

Best regards.
Tags: HSV-2
The western blot does not not give a numeric result, it is simply positive or negative.  You had a herpeselect done, most likely.  But then it appears that you already know that.  I do believe that, given the very low number on the Captia test and the negative on the Herpeselect test, you are not infected with HSV 2 and do not need further testing.  

The chafing the next day that went away in a week is not consistent with herpes timewise - the symptom is too soon for herpes.  I hope you you believe this new result and move on without the western blot.  But if you need it so you can relax, go for it. Sometimes doing that test is what it takes for people to really believe they are not infected.

I believe you are not infected given these tests.  However, that test result is good for four months ago and backwards, don't know what you current sexual contacts have been like.

Terri
Thank you for the response.  I think I would like to get the Western Blot so that I can move on knowing I am HSV-2 negative.  Can your clinic arrange for this test?  What are the steps?
Yes, we can.  You need to become a patient of the clinic - this involves a brief phone consult (since you know exactly what you want).  You can call the office at 503-226-6678 and they will set it up and give you more details.

Terri