Herpes Community
HSV 2 IGG Herpeselect Test Result

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV 2 IGG Herpeselect Test Result

I recently was tested for a routine STD Panel just to make sure I hadn't contracted any STD's in my minimally sexually active lifetime. I have only had 2 sexual partners and have never had sex without a condom. To my surprise my test results were startling.
My test results were:

HSV 1 IGG Herpeselect AB .32
Negative for Antibodies

HSV 2 IGG Herpeselect AB 2.08
Positive for Antibodies

I was then told by my doctor I have genital herpes. I found this hard to believe since I have always practiced safe sex as well as the fact that one of my sexual partners had only had sex with me before and the other sexual partner had only had sex with one other person in their life time. I have never had an outbreak or any signs of genital herpes, as well as the fact that this cannot be a recent infection since I have not had sexual contact with anyone in at least 3 months. Please help explain these results to me. I don't understand how I can be negative for oral herpes but positive for genital herpes when I always practice safe sex.
Indeed you had a positive result for HSV2, but it's a low positive. Anything below 3.5 should be confirmed through another test, whether it is a Western Blot or a Biokit. The Western Blot is the gold standard and can be requested by your doctor through Quest Labs, while the Biokit is a rapid test (they poke your finger) and not many offices offer it.

To get some peace of mind, you can also ask your former partners to get tested.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/low-positives---confirmatory-results/show/1097724#post_5968138  is a prior post we have here that goes into more details about the low positives and why it's so important to confirm your status with further testing.  

just as a fyi - condoms only reduce transmission of herpes by 30% so it's well worth periodic herpes igg blood testing to keep an eye on your status.  

also encourage your provider to read the 2010 cdc herpes guidelines to better educate themselves on herpes testing so that they are well informed on the need for confirmatory testing for low positives.

grace
When I called my doctor they said that the HerpeSelect test (which is what i got) is the most effective and accurate and that they have never heard of a more effective way of detecting herpes. I dont think they understand that this is affecting me very greatly. I asked them if they could send a request to a lab to get a different type of blood test and they told me no.
How do I tell them I need it?
you need to have a herpes WB blood test drawn to confirm your status.

Encourage your provider to read the 2010 cdc herpes information - it has a whole section on the low positives and the need to confirm them. You also can encourage them to contact quest diagnostics to ask about the low positive issues with the herpeselect. They need to be up to date and informed on the testing they are offering!