HSV-2 Initial Outbreak
Three weeks ago I had an initial outbreak of what has been tested by a culture as HSV-2. The blood test has come back negative. I have been married for 21 years. He tested negative for HSV-1 and 2 in his blood test. I have not had any sort of sexual contact with another individual in over 25 years but my husband does not believe me. How can I just have my first outbreak if I hasn't had contact with any other person and my husband claims the same and tests negative?

This is putting a serious stress on our marriage.
Let me add more details.  Visited doctor on 6/7 thinking I had vaginal boil since I never expected an STD. He visually diagnosed me with herpes (I had at least 20 lesions). Took swab and did full-panel STD testing. Culture came back with results "Herpes Simplex Virus Species Isolated Significant Findings." At this point the doctor called and confirmed positive results. I asked whether HSV-1 or -2 and he said 2.

The blood work came back negative. HSV-2 Ab IgG was <0.2. HSV IgM Ab Ttr resulted as negative for both HSV-1 and -2.

I see my doctor on 7/3. Is there any additional test I should request?

And my most important question is still regarding how I could have contracted this and have all the traditional symptoms of an initial outbreak when I have only slept with my husband for the last 25 years and he is adamant that he has only slept with me. He is too angry with me, so I believe he has been faithful.

Thanks.
make sure that they actually typed it as being hsv2 and not just that it was hsv+ and assumed hsv2 since genital.  

also make sure that your husband had a type specific herpes igg blood test done and not igm testing.

grace
My  husband will go with me to the doctor next week to try to get more answers. But is it even possible that one of us contracted a version of herpes 25 years ago, it didn't show up on the blood test, and I just had my first outbreak? It pretty much seems impossible but it's the only explanation we can come up with.
since herpes is not a part of routine std testing, indeed it is possible to be infected that long and never realize it.  

definitely make sure that they typed your culture. even the best hsv tests still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections and when both partners are testing negative but one has a + hsv culture, typically hsv1 is the culprit, not hsv2.