Herpes Community
HSV-2 Low positive IGG, Indeterminate WB
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

HSV-2 Low positive IGG, Indeterminate WB

Hi,

I am looking for some clarity regarding my HSV-2 blood tests results.  About 14 months ago (December 2010) I had unprotected sex with a potential "risky" girl.  Shortly thereafter I began feeling a constant tingling, almost itchy sensation throughout the shaft of penis.  In Feb 2011, 2 months after possible exposure, I got a standard STD test from my doctor and my results were negative for HSV-1 and 1.4 for for HSV-2 on the ELISA IGG test.  This was obviously devastating.  A few months more went by and I still had the constant tingling in my penis but no outbreaks or visible HSV-2 signs.  I decided to get tested a second time in June 2011 and received a 1.6 for HSV-2 on the ELISA test.  After no outbreaks and two low-positive ELISA IGG results I began doing research on the internet and learned about the Western Blot test administered by the University of Washington.  I sent my first blood sample to UW in August 2011 and the results came back in Indeterminate.  It was recommended that I send a second sample several months later so that the lab could run a paired test.  In December of 2011, I sent a second sample, it was run as a paired test, and the results came back indeterminate again.  There was no change in antibody activity for HSV-2 and HSV-1 came back negative on all tests.

I have been told that it is unlikely that I have HSV-2 given my results, however, I am still a bit skeptical.  What would explain the low positive igg score and indeterminate result on the Western Blot if it is not HSV-2?  Is it possible that even after a year I am still seroconverting?  The tingling/itchy feeling in my penis has also continued.  What do you make of all this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!