Herpes Community
HSV-2 Low positive IGG, Indeterminate WB

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I am looking for some clarity regarding my HSV-2 blood tests results.  About 14 months ago (December 2010) I had unprotected sex with a potential "risky" girl.  Shortly thereafter I began feeling a constant tingling, almost itchy sensation throughout the shaft of penis.  In Feb 2011, 2 months after possible exposure, I got a standard STD test from my doctor and my results were negative for HSV-1 and 1.4 for for HSV-2 on the ELISA IGG test.  This was obviously devastating.  A few months more went by and I still had the constant tingling in my penis but no outbreaks or visible HSV-2 signs.  I decided to get tested a second time in June 2011 and received a 1.6 for HSV-2 on the ELISA test.  After no outbreaks and two low-positive ELISA IGG results I began doing research on the internet and learned about the Western Blot test administered by the University of Washington.  I sent my first blood sample to UW in August 2011 and the results came back in Indeterminate.  It was recommended that I send a second sample several months later so that the lab could run a paired test.  In December of 2011, I sent a second sample, it was run as a paired test, and the results came back indeterminate again.  There was no change in antibody activity for HSV-2 and HSV-1 came back negative on all tests.

I have been told that it is unlikely that I have HSV-2 given my results, however, I am still a bit skeptical.  What would explain the low positive igg score and indeterminate result on the Western Blot if it is not HSV-2?  Is it possible that even after a year I am still seroconverting?  The tingling/itchy feeling in my penis has also continued.  What do you make of all this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

there are just some folks who always get indeterminate results on the wb unfortunately.

at this point, I'd ask your provider to call the U of washington and see what they think about daily pcr swabbing for a month or two and "batching" the swabs just to look for the presence of herpes.  You could also pay for a consult on the phone with Terri warren, our herpes expert here on medhelp, and see if she has further suggestions for you ( she can definitely set up the swabbing for you too ). Batching the swabs means you'll see if any herpes is detected, just not know when. Since all you need to do is confirm your status,  batching them is the best way to save money though it still requires a lot of your time just doing the daily anal-genital swabbing.  

grace
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers