Herpes Community
HSV-2 ON MY FOOT?!?!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV-2 ON MY FOOT?!?!

I went to the doctors 10 days ago to ask about a horrible blister that formed on my foot. I found out today that the blister was the cause of having HSV2( I have been with the same partner for over 4 years). I have NEVER had any type of blistering on any part of my body body before this.  Have you ever heard this virus forming in/ on a location that does not produce a regular supply of moisture? Next how long can this virus stay dormant before surfacing. Also any ideas how it could have gotten on my foot ?
Interesting place to have HSV-2.  What testing was done to determine that the blister on your foot was herpes?  

Has your partner been tested for HSV to know their own status?  

The virus can infect different parts of the body (Fingers, elbow etc).  Different terms for them but nothing to do with moisture.  There is no time line on how long in between outbreaks.

Please provide us with more information please.
actually herpes on the foot is typically genital herpes following a different nerve pathway and showing symptoms on the foot instead of the genital area. You still have to assume you have hsv2 genitally though even though you haven't seen obvious symptoms there yet.

has your partner been tested to know their status yet?

grace
Didn't think those nerves were that close to each other for a jump like that.  Learn something new everyday. Thanks grace!
If by interesting you mean horrible, painful and annoying then yes! The only test that I had was a q-tip swab being rubbed over the blister. I am going in to have a blood test done on Monday. If the blood test confirms that it is HSV2 them my partner will also go get testing done.

What nervous system runs from your genitals to your feet? Is it possible that the HSV2 could move or show up in another location besides my foot?
you already know you have hsv2. absolutely no reason to doubt your status.  if it's a newly acquired infection, it might not show up on your blood testing yet.   your partner getting tested at this point is far more important to your relationship than you getting tested. You can't make educated decisions about precautions until you know their status too.

you can have lesions anywhere below the waist with genital herpes but typically they show up in what we refer to as the 'boxer short' area - or where a normal pair of boxer shorts would cover.  lesions on the foot aren't as common as lesions in the boxer short area but they do happen and you have a lesion culture that confirms that that is what is causing your symptom.
How does HSV2 enter you body without entering your blood stream? Second why would you not recommend seeking a second opinion? I do not mean any disrespect to doctors, but then are not all knowing. I am not making any "educated decisions" without going to multiple sources.

Second, if my partner does not have any lesions (for a culture test) what test type of test., other then a blood test, would they run? My partner has made the decision to wait to be tested until we have received a second opinion.
Culture testing which is what you said you had done came back showing the blister was HSV-2.  Given that it is the case there is no reason to question it.  Culture testing is only wrong by human error.  While this can happen it is far less likely.  The blood test won't prove the location of the HSV infection just that you have anitbodies to it.  If this is a new infection the antibodies won't show up.  Which is why we want your partner to get tested.

HSV (regardless of type) is not a blood borne virus.  The virus is transmitted via skin-to-skin contact.  In order for the virus to get into the body you have to have heat and friction to massage the virus into the skin.  Once there it infects the nerves.  

Your partner should be tested regardless what your blood test come back as.  The cutlure is far more false negative then false positive.  A blood test can be done for your partner at this point and her status as long as she has had no other partners then you in the last 4 months can be trusted.  

Thank you both for your support. All I can say is this has been a major shock. And it all feels so unclear as to how the blister came to be on my foot.  I have spoken to several doctors and for the most part they are all quite baffled as to how the sore came to be on my foot. I did have my blood drawn today and I will keep an eye on my foot to see if I ever get another blister. Otherwise I know not to have intercourse when I have a break out. Any other time we are safe.

I have asked Mike to go get himself tested. He has not had any other partners for several years.  
Well the thing is that its the nerves that are were the virus lives.  What maybe two different areas seperated by distance to us is a hop skip jump away for HSV.  It does not help any I know.  

Keep asking us questions as you need us.
the virus infects the sacral nerve ganglia when you are infected genitally with it. It can travel down any nerve in that ganglia and cause lesions to appear on the skin anywhere on it. Usually it stops and causes lesions above the knee but it's not overly unusual for it to cause lesions on the foot. Your providers just aren't as up to date on herpes to understand the virus that's all. On average they get 15 minutes or so of education on it in med school so unless they get patients with a little more atypical symptoms, they usually have no reason to do further education on it to know about the exception to the rules like this :)

if you need help with your partner's test results, by all means post them here in this post and I'll give you hand with them :)
I can't believe they don't receive more education for a virus that is so common! That is reall unfortunate...and disapointing.

Is it possible for the virus to pass if it is dormant? Mike has never had a break out, and I haven't until now?
yes you can transmit the virus even without active symptoms present.
Some of the virus reactivates.  If it does and doesn't cause active symptoms we call this viral shedding (asymptomic shedding is the term).  That is there is no signs of an outbreak but the virus is on the skin.  There is the chance on that.

In all honesty the doctors have to learn a lot.  Think about all that you do in a day.  They have to know a lot of different conditions and other things.  It should be understandable to not be strong in some areas.  But I do agree some of them need better and more accurate training.  Testing right now would be the best and if they aren't sure some research would be best.  :(  
my  husband of 8 yrs  had the  herpes 2 virus  and  never  told me  which  i  never  had  a  break  out  either  but  he  did  i  asked  my  dr  about  it  cause  my  husband  wouldnt  answer and  he  gave  me  a  test  and  yep  i  have  it its  been 9 yrs  all together  divorced  one yr  and  i  am  haveing  my  first  break  out  it  is  horrible  what  people  can  do  im  so  pissed