Herpes Expert Forum
HSV-2 Test Result Interpretation

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

HSV-2 Test Result Interpretation

Hi, I had a test for STD in Hong Kong last week.  Result is I am infected with Chlamydia, Gonococci, and M.Hominis, as well as HSV Type 2.  I have a few sores just developed last week in gential (genital) area, which the doctor said it is not HSV-2 symptoms but caused by another type of virus that can be cured.

What I am concerned is the blood test result of HSV-2.  It is tested in different scale from what I read in this forum:

HSV-2 IgM:  Negative 8.1 RU/mL  (negative = less than 16, borderline = 16-22, positive = 22)
HSV-2 IgG:  Borderline 16.2 Ru/mL  (negative = less than 16, borderline = 16-22, positive = 22)

I have the following questions:
1.  What kind of test did I get to get this result?
2.  What does borderline result mean?  Does it mean I am positive but can be wrong?
3.  Since my number is very close to negative, what is the chance that I can be tested negative in another test later (i.e. I got false positive result)?  How long should I wait to get tested again?  Doctor said he is sure I am positive, that the lab result is too generious usually.  Is he right?
4.  If my numbers remain in borderline range again in second test, what does it mean?
5.  If I am infected, what is the chance that I can transmit to my partner with and without protection when I show no symptoms?

Many thanks from a deeply worried man
I've posted this response twice now, don't know what's happening that it isn't showing up, will try again.  Sorry about that.

Since I'm not familiar with this particular test, I'm afraid I can't interpret it for you.  I can only say that you are very close to the negative cutoff, so there is always a chance it is a false positive.  I would try to get some blood to the US for western blot to clarify.  

If you are infected with HSV 2, there is a chance you could infect your partner when you have no symptoms, yes.  

If you do manage to get a confirmatory test, it should be done 16 weeks after any possible exposure to the virus.

Terri
Thanks for your response.  So borderline test result is equal to positive?
What is the transmission rate of HSV-2 in percentage with and with supression medicine and condom?  Thanks again for your help.
Technically, the value you have is positive, not borderline.  But I'm not clear exactly how to interpret this particular test.

If a person is actually positive for HSV 2 and suppression is used and condoms are used and the frequency of sex is about twice per week, the transmission rate in a year is between 1-2 percent, assuming everyone knows that HSV is present in the relationship.

Terri