Herpes Community
HSV-2 positive blood test
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

HSV-2 positive blood test

I recently took a STI blood panel and got a positive result for HSV-2. I have never had any symptoms. Could the test be a false positive and should I have another test done to confirm? Also I have heard that HSV-2 can be on the genitals or mouth, so if I don't have any symptoms anywhere and I am just a carrier, can I pass this to someone else by kissing or oral sex?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
I can best help you if you call monday and get the actual numeric results of your test - ie hsv1 igg 4.4 and hsv2 igg 2.9 or whatever they are. then I can see if you were properly tested and if you need additional confirmatory testing done or not.

grace
Blank
Well, I took a chance and callled this morning and found out they are also open on Saturday. So I went and got my test results. My number is 2.66. Not what I wanted to see.
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
if that is your hsv2 igg, it's a low positive and needs confirmed with additional testing. A herpes biokit or a herpes WB are the best 2 choices to confirm it with.

grace
Blank
What exactly does a low positive result mean? Should I wait any amount of time before I get re-tested? The test they did was HSV2 IGG HERPESELECT TYPE SPECIFIC AB from Quest. If they do the same test on me again, will I get the same result? The only place in my area I found to do testing is Planned Parenthood. Can I get those other tests done there? If not, do you know where I would go to get them? I have no insurance and no doctor that I go to. Sorry, I have so many questions!!!!!  Thank you so much for your help!
I finally got in touch with my ex boyfriend yesterday to let him know what was going on. He's also not had any signs or symptoms, but he said he would go get tested too. His results may also answer some questions for me.
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Confusing-Igg-Test-Results/show/771141  is a prior post by HHH that explains the need for additional testing nicely.

You've never had any symptoms so it's well worth confirming your status. Your partner also will need to get a blood test to see what his results are too.

grace
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank