Herpes Community
HSV 2 transmission to partner

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV 2 transmission to partner

I was recently diagnosed with genital HSV-2. I was careless and got burned. Sure, I'll kick myself for a long time for this but life goes on, doesn't it ?

Anyway, I had two very close outbreaks and the doctor put me on Valtrex 500mg once a day for the next 9 months. I have a girlfriend and she knows about my HSV-2 and she's not really worried. Love...what can you do ?? : )

I was wondering what are the chances when having protected vaginal sex and with the suppressive treatment of infecting her ?

Right now we use condoms for oral sex but that's not too great and I was hoping that with suppressive treatment there might come a day where we can have oral sex without condoms. I mean I got HSV-2 on the genitals but I don't understand why I didn't get any on the lips/face. I mean there should've been no ?

Anyway, thanks for your time and advice !
First, you can take the condoms off for oral sex.  Oral sex is very low risk.

If you're on suppressive therapy and using condoms, her risk over an entire YEAR is only 4%.  That's based on having sex 2-3 times a week.  Not bad, right?  =)

Has she been tested to know her HSV status?

Thanks for the reply : )

Since I'm not completely 100% sure of how I got it, maybe she gave it to me...who knows !! But she hasn't been tested yet, no.

Nice to know those kind of numbers, I figured it was much more higher.

Still I think we'll play it safe for the next few months and let the suppressive treatment take full effect.

Thanks  : )
your current partner certainly needs tested. you can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take until you know who has what.

what testing did you have done?

grace
Yes we plan on going together to the doctors to get her tested.

The doctor tested a sore that I had and it came back HSV-2.

To Grace = I'm a guy and according to the reply above, oral sex performed on me while on suppressive treatment and not during an outbreak seems a pretty low chance of transmission ? What do you think ?
correct!  it's what you both are comfortable with though so if she wants to utilize barrier protection when she performs oral, shop around and find flavored condoms or a flavored lube that she prefers.