Herpes Expert Forum
HSV II

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

HSV II

I had unprotected sexual intercourse (once) with someone who is positive for HSV II.  At the 3 month mark, I am negative via igG test (<.90).  Is is safe to assume that I do not have it?  I read that some take 6 months to one year to develop antibodies.  Should I continue to test?  I have not had any symptoms, but I know that it is common to have an asymptomatic initial outbreak.  (I have HSV I for several years - in your opinion, can that contribute to a false negative in any way?)
I would say that at 3 months, the likelihood that you would serconvert if you were actually infected is at least 90%.  It is correct that if you are HSV 1 positive, seroconversion might take a little longer.  What is your HSV 1 status?  Also, your risk of contracting HSV 2 at one encounter is really quite small.  If I were in your situation, I would probably not test again, but if it would make you feel more secure, I would recommend that you do it at 4 months or 5 if you are HSV 1 positive.

Terri
Just to be safe i would take one more std test sense you are hsv 1 positive. It can take longer for antibiodies to build up in the system. Its also true your outbreaks will be less severe if you have hsv 1 as well. So you could mistake an outbreak for something else.