Aa
A
A
Close
HSV IgG Negative for I and II, IgM less than 1:10 (negative)- but detected
I work in the medical field and went recently for my annual GYN appointment, I asked to be screened for everything just to have the testing done. I have not had any known sexual exposures to HSV, but due to my job I am constantly exposed to shingles, chicken pox, among other things. My last sexual encounter was at least 2 months ago, with a long-term monogamous partner. My GYN seems to believe it is a false positive of the IgM, but wants me to re-test in 3 months, but I can't wait that long as my insurance runs out in a month. Is the false positive the most likely scenario? Because if I had been exposed to HSV - it would be IgG positive by now, right?
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
101028 tn?1419606604
The herpes igm test is a greatly flawed test.  Current CDC recommendations are that it not be drawn on adults.  Absolutely nothing to be learned by a +igm herpes test and your gyn should update their herpes testing knowledge.

A negative igg 2 months post encounter doesn't really give you the final answer on your status.  Wait another month ( preferably 2) and repeat the herpes type specific igg testing to properly cover your bases.

Grace
Comment
Cancel
101028 tn?1419606604
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
My IgM wasn't positive. It was "detected" at less than 1:10. I will retest in one month as my insurance will be gone after that.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
Top STDs Answerers
Blank
veryworried420