Herpes Community
HSV Test Results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV Test Results

I got my HSV test results back today and would like help interpreting them.

TEST: HSV-2 Ab, IgG
RESULT: 0.07
<0.90

TEST: HSV 1 & 2 IGM
RESULT: 0.54
0.0-0.91
(However, I have read on here that IGM results are worthless.)

BACKGROUND: I have been getting canker sores in my mouth since I was a kid (3-6 a year), but have never had a cold sore or any genital symptoms.

IMPORTANCE: I got tested because I am about to get intimate with a girl.  I normally get tested anyway, but she has lupus and I am very, very concerned about giving her anything that may complicate her situation.  She has tested negative for both forms of HSV.

I'd appreciate it if someone could interpret my results, and also let me know what risk factors I pose to her.  Thank you in advance.
Canker sores are not due to herpes.  They are completely different.

Your hsv2 igg result is negative. If it's been 3 or 4 months since the last time you had sex with another partner you can trust it.

I don't see a hsv1 igg result listed - did you also get tested for that?

The igm test should've never been drawn on you.

grace
Grace -

Thank you very much for your reply.

I thought I got tested for HSV-1 as well, but perhaps not.  I did tell the doctor about the canker sores and that I thought I already had HSV-1 (because this is what I though HSV-1 was), so perhaps he just thought the same and didn't order the test.  About three years ago, I got a complete STD test and tested positive for Epstein Barr.  I was told this was nothing to worry about.  However, shortly thereafter, I was refused health insurance from a provider because in the pre-existing conditions section, I failed to mention "herpes".  Apparently, the test had showed some kind of infection or antibody response.  Confused, I spoke to my doctor about it and he said that the reason herpes showed up was because Epstein Barr is a type of herpes, and again, nothing to worry about.

Fast forward to this past week:  The doctor I went to for this recent STD test said that Epstein Barr is neither a form of herpes, nor is it an STD.  Again, a little confused, but knowing that I already tested positive for EB, we just did a standard STD test that included HSV.  I assumed the HSV-1 and 2 tests were the same as I was told that in the absence of symptoms (which I have never had any for 2), it was the level of the antibody response that is used to determine the type of infection.  Clearly though, I have been misinformed about many things regarding HSV.  Any info you could give me to shed some light on all of this would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thank you for your time and information.
There are 8 human herpes viruses - of which herpes simplex 1 and herpes simplex 2 are a part of. EBV is also a human herpes virus - by the time we are in our 40's about 90% of us have it.  Herpes zoster - aka chicken pox and shingles is in the same family. If when you were turned down for health insurance they said no because of herpes, they must've tested you for herpes simplex at some point though turning you down for it is ridiculous since most adults have at least 1 form of it.  Too late now anyways since I'm sure you've gotten coverage since then.  

Give the provider you saw a call tomorrow and ask if there was a hsv1 igg test done. if there isn't, it might not be too late for them to call and add it on so you don't have to get stuck again for more blood work.  

grace
Grace -

Thanks for clarifying about EBV.  I've also had chicken pox, so possibly I show up for that as well.  And yes, I have qualified for health insurance since -- though they surely like to nitpick about things.

I didn't call the doctor back to look into HSV-1, because I know he would charge me for another test and I've shelled out $300 to get tested so far.  I hope that doesn't seem irresponsible, but I've thought I've had HSV-1 this whole time anyway, so finding out that I do have it wouldn't change much.  I've never had a cold sore, and the canker sores are limited to three or so a year nowadays.  Finding out that I didn't have HSV-1 would be great, but I am currently unemployed and, unfortunately, need to be as smart about my money as I am about my health.

In that way, it absolutely amazes me how much this stuff costs.  I would think with cheaper testing, more people would get tested and perhaps we'd see a decrease of exposure.
It's relatively cheap to test for herpes - under $5 for the kits the lab uses. the lab tacks on fees and so does the clinic ordering it which is how it adds up :(  You can check around for more affordable testing near you when you are ready to repeat your testing to find out your hsv1 status.  Sometimes you can find a "draw station" as they are called - you don't get seen by a medical professional -you just go and get the lab work done.  

grace
Grace -

Thanks for the tip.  I will look around.