Herpes Community
HSV Type II

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV Type II

Is a 1.48 on first test a true positive or should I wait another month and get another blood test or seek a different test?
Was your score of 1.48 for HSV-1 or HSV-2? Were you tested for the other type? What was that score?

How long before this test had you had unprotected sex? Have you had any symptoms?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but it's difficult to answer your question without a bit more context.
hsv-1 <.91
hsv-2 1.48

No unprotected sex, used a condom.

No symptoms, but I do have the flu/cold/allergies now and when blood was taken a few days ago, which was about 4 days afterwards.
That helps a bit. Had you ever been tested for HSV prior to this? What were those results?

Your positive for HSV-2 is fairly low. You could try another IgG test. If it comes out negative, it's a fair bet that this was a false positive. If the result comes up low positive again, you should confirm with a Western Blot.
do you have a regular partner?

how long prior to testing had you last had sex?

why did you get tested?

grace
No regular partner, it was a one time thing, used a condom.

I got tested out of fear because it was a one night thing. No symptoms.

It was about a week later, which doesn't seem like enough time to get a real result from reading which could explain the low number if it is positive.

I was thinking another igg in a month and if it comes back positive again getting a western blot.

Thoughts?
you need to wait at least 3 months post encounter for your testing to be accurate.

same as syphilis testing needs to be done 6 weeks post encounter.

grace