Herpes Community
HSV and EBV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV and EBV

I was diagnosed with EBV a few years ago, last week I tested positive for Herpes (not sure HSV1 or 2, my appt to go over results is tomorrow). I know that the EBV and HSV are in the same herpesvirus family, but is it possible that I tested positive for Herpes because of the EBV? Like, could it be that I in fact do not have Herpes, and the EBV made a false positive? I've never had a sympton of Herpes, or atleast one that I have noticed.
What would be helpful is if you can post the results of your HSV test.  Make sure its type specific IgG testing.  Grace could look at the results and give you her thoughts on the results of the test.  However, this week she will be hit and miss so it may be a little longer before she gets to you.  Feel free to post the numeric results once you get them and by next monday if you don't have a response from Grace post a response that says Bump so its back on page 1.
Yes ebv and hsv are in the same herpes family but they really have nothing to do with each other.  Most of us have ebv by the time we hit our 40's and it won't cause a false positive igg blood test for herpes on the newer type specific tets.

definitely write down what your results are at your appointment today and post them here for me to look at. All I need to see are the numeric results - ie hsv 1 igg 5.5 and hsv2 igg 3.2 or whatever they are. Then we can see if you were properly tested and if you need further confirmatory testing done or not.
grace
Well I went to the doctor and the nurse who told me over the phone I tested positive misread the lab results. I didnt get to see the actual lab results but the doctor told me that the HSV2 was negative, and HSV1 only had "elevated" levels, but nothing to be concerned about. She suggested I get tested again in a few months as I just came into contact with the virus 3 months ago, but for now she says its highly unlikely that I have it.