Herpes Community
HSV blood test

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV blood test

Hey all

I just had a few questions; I have been informed that the blood test for HSV is not accurate enough to go by. That a culture is needed for accurate results.
Is this true? If this is true how is someone without an outbreak suppose to know that they are infected?
The newer herpes blood tests are pretty darn accurate at telling you what you have, just not where it's at.  Statistically for general screening it's hsv1 orally and hsv2 genitally.

www.herpesdiagnosis.com has a terrific section on how to accurately get tested for herpes for more reading if you want it.

grace
Thank you Grace, I read your profile... you seem to be very much aware.

Could you tell me when would be the best time to get tested after a possible exposure?
4 months afterwards.

grace
Please tell me, how am I suppose to know the difference from a razer rash as i may have just given myself and the difference to an actual outbreak?
Before an outbreak would it always itch, tingle, burn or any other type of sensation?or is that not always the case?

I just shaved and i'm not sure if it is razer burn or herpes
Thank you
Why not see your provider and let them look at it?  They can do a pcr swab of the symptoms to see if they are herpes or not.

grace
I have an appt. today at 2. Can you at least tell me if the sensations before an outbreak usually occur?
I scared to death about this.
Also If I get the western blot done and that comes back neg. will that ensure that I do not have HSV?? I will be just at the 4 month mark?
Sorry for all the questions
The WB for herpes is a very accurate test.

update us as to how your appointment went :)

grace
So I went to the doctor and got my results from the herpes igg test and she said it was below .90 she said they did not have the actual numbers but she said it was negative.
is that anything to worry about; that they did not have the actual number?

And she looked at my bumps... she said they did not look like herpes and that it looked like razer bumps or hair bumps... i made her do a swab of the one i was playing with just to be on the safe side.

even though my igg results were negative i asked her if I could get the Western blot and she said that they did not have it here and that I'd have to go to washington to get it. She said it is not an approved test or somthing.

Question... she said that she doesn't even recommend getting a blood test if you have never had an outbreak, that it would not be accurate. Is that true? because I don't know if i have ever had an outbreak.  Also I got a test around the 90 day mark and that was negative and then I got another one a week ago and just got my results saying that they are negative.  Since i may have not had an outbreak are these results good enough or should i return for further testing?

this is very confusing, i don't understand why she says that the blood test are not good enough, she said i could test negative and them in months, years down the road I could have an outbreak.... Where do i go with this?

Thank you for you help, what ever you say I will take your words over hers. you seem to know what you are talking about since living with it.
Also I was reading someones forum and he stated that hes symptoms were "Pharyngitis (Sore throat), Gingivitis, and fever "...

Are those really signs/symptoms of herpes?
You've had enough negative tests now that I wouldn't bother getting any more.

Your provider saw this rash and didn't think it looked like herpes.

If you are infected the blood tests will show it whether you've had obvious symptoms or not.

grace
Thank you grace!!

Can I ask one more question, I am trying to get this out of my mind but every little thing that occurs makes me think of herpes.

I read someones forum who said he has had several outbreaks and his igg test still showed negative after 5 months but his gf test positive. What are the chances that i could have a false negative?
i'm trying to believe and trust my results but knowing that there is that chance I am afraid.
Only about 2% of folks won't test + on the blood tests we currently offer. It's not something to be too paranoid about.  Don't let a std anxiety get the best of you!

grace
I'll try not too... I've just start a relationship with a guy and he is getting tested... if he is negative for all STD's I wanted to make sure that if we ever have unprotected sex I don't have to worry about transmitting this to him if my results could have been false.
Do you believe we could have unprotected sex with out any problems?

I'm afraid of possibly putting him at risk
Hey grace...

i was also curious, I just my papers in the mail and they read

HSV I IGG AB (BLOT) - < 0.90
HSV II IGG AB (BLOT) - < 0.90

i'm confused... Does this mean that both of my results are 0.90
Or does this mean that they are actually less then 0.90

Please respond I would like to know if by reading my results if they are a specific or non specific test... do you know if this is the herpesselect or is this a non preferred test?

Thank you
Your test you had done is negative for both hsv1 and hsv2.

No idea what test you had done from what you posted as far as brand.

grace
thank you
Hi again grace i have another question....

they say that people who do not have outbreaks can have other symptoms such as acold or flu... Can you explain.

Does that person get those symptoms (the flu or cold) each time they are supposibly experiencing herpes just without the out break. I recently got sick for the second time since my last encounter. lowgrade fever, sore throat, I also get pains that shoot through my stomach area; so could I be experiencing the mild outbreak with only cold like symptoms?

i have also heard that only happens with the first inital outbreak ?
Also I my anus itched but i never had any bumps or any thing, do you get itching without an outbreak?

Thank you so much for helping my learn about this. I'm trying to except my results but I find it hard when I read other post that they say they tested neg. and then later they were positive.
I also got a headache and the runs, this whole thing has me concerned. I just want to know 100% that I don't have it.

I do apologize if I am asking too many questions
Cold symptoms are not a sign of herpes.

Flu like symptoms are different from cold symptoms and they typically only accompany the first ob.

your provider didn't think your rash was herpes.  Perhaps it's time to start believing that?

grace
I will do my best!! i am trying

thank you
I just found out that I had the herpes simplex done and I was wondering how reliable is that test, i wanted the select done but didn't get it.

Is that test okay 12 days from the 4 month mark?

Thank you

Thank you
And can you tell me what the difference is between the two test

Thank you so much
Sorry I don't think it was called the simplex test, and now I can't remember what it was called but it was not the select... it was the IGG...

Can you tell me how accurate the other IGG 1 & 2 test are?

Sorry for all the post I just want to touch base of everything that could effect my results. I am becoming crazy about this but I feel the more I learn the better I am feeling about this.

Thank you!!
I just want to know why I don't have the same type of numbers as others....

Why are both I & II <0.90

i understand they are neg. but why don't I have results like 0.04 or 0.10

You are obsessing now at this point. Your blood test was negative.  There is absolutely no difference between a hsv1 igg of .34 and a hsv 1 igg of .88 so many labs will just say that it's less than .90 when it's clearly negative.

It's time to stop worrying so much about all this.

grace
I'm so sorry grace. I am obsessing, I just wanted to make sure all bases are touched. I tried getting an actual number because I'd like to know what my ratios are and when they just say <.90 it worried me because everyone else is giving actual numbers and I am not able to even know what mine are.

Thank you again for all your help I know I'm a pain in the butt; I like to learn as much as possible so that i can move on and forget about this. Which I think it is time to do. I will try my best. But please bare with me if I ask questions it is only to get an answer to help move on.

Can you tell me one more thing what is the difference between the herpeselect and herpes simplex test? how accurate is the herpes simplex test?

Thank you
the herpeselect is a brand name of a test that looks for antibodies to herpes simplex virus.

A herpes simplex test is just what you are testing for.

grace
Thanks again grace!!!
Hey again, quick q...

How do you know if you have a canker sore or herpes of the mouth?

What is the difference, between the two?

Thank you!!
I think I am finally starting to believe and trust my results, I had to have many ppl tell me that I am free of HSV but I feel that I am doing much better
And I really wanted to thank you Grace, even though you told me numberous of time that I didn't have to retest and that I was fine I couldn't over come the possibilty of having it and transmitting HSV to my new parnter and you still helped me when needed...Thank you so much you provide such a GREAT service and I wish you all the best!!!

Thank you
Hey AGAIN!! =)

Sorry to return but I have another question.

I was reading the doctors forums and dr. hook had mentioned that only 90% of ppl will test postive at 3 months. ...

So since every one says four months; for my peace of mind I went and got tested yesterday and it was exactly 125 days after my exposure. I Just wanted to know if they are neg. whats that percentage of ppl who test post. by this point?

And also is it true that those who test positive later after 4months are those who already have HSV1 and that is why it takes longer to test positive?

Thanks again. PS I have started talking to someone ab this and I seem to be doing better. She suggested that after reading that % number that I get tested at the 4 month mark and if my results come back neg. that i could be 100% sure that I did not contract HSV. She has helped me with my anxiety about passing it to my new friend who has become someone dear to me (can't pass something you don't have RIGHT) LOL
. I clearly have something wrong when it comes to this issue but if it weren't for this forum (GRACE!!!!) I would be still sitting in my room crying instead of talking to someone to overcome what ever issues I have with this.

Thanks for answering =P
post your results when you get them.
Hey, I haven't gotten the results yet but I was wondering if it is true that female out breaks tend to stay in the vagina. (in the lips and around them)?
I ask because I read they they can look like razor bumps.

Also, I get these pimple like bumps they are fairly tiny and not in clusters and don't hurt or itch. they tend to come and go every now and again the bumps them selves dont last longer then a few days, do you know what they could be?
You need to show them to your doctor for further evaluation to find out what they are.

grace
I am going monday to get my results and will do so, but as they are gone in a few days she wont be able to see them.

Do they sound like herpes to you?

Thank you
Hey there, I went my doc this morning getting my HSV I results but not my HSV II

The IGM 1/2 NON DETECTED- I know this was a waist I dont know why my doc took it.

The HSV 1- .05 neg.

Still waiting for the HSV2 results
Hey grace...

Just wanted to let you know my FINAL hsv2 results have come back and wouldn't you know it I DO NOT HAVE IT!!!!

I know I have been a pain in the butt.. but I am content with my results as it was 5 days past the 4 month window period and I'm still neg after several test.

Although I think I found the problem to all my symptoms... I found out I have Chlamydia and have been getting treated for it for the past couple days. I was so worried about HSV I never thought about any thing else and did think it could have been anything else.

Auntie Jessie has been helping me with all my questions in regards to Chlamydia which has been great since I'm new at having an STD.

Both of you have been great and I can only wish you the best of everything as that is what you deserve for the great work you provide in helping so many others.

Thank you for putting up with me even though you Knew all along I didn't have it.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH
OH... one more thing..

HAPPY THANKS GIVING!!! =)
congrats - glad you finally have answers :)

grace