Herpes Expert Forum
HSV in infant

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

HSV in infant

If I have HSV on the mouth, and had predrome signs of an outbreak, but kissed my 9 month old (numerous times, not even thinking about an outbreak)... What do I need to watch for with her? She's been very irritable, and drooly. Could just be teething, but I'm concerned. Especially reading all the stuff on the Internet (i.e. HSV encephalitis).
The children we worry about are newborns, not children as old as 9 months.  I think a 9 month old would do fine with acquisition of HSV 1 infection.  Also, if you are kissing your child with just a little peck, this is unlikely to result in infection if you have no cold sore and only prodrome.  

Irritability is so general, and as you said, she could be teething.  If she gets a cold sore on her lip, you'll know transmission has happened, but again, I don't think that is a big deal.

I'm not a pediatrician, but I do know that our big concern is newborns who have an inadequate immune system to fight herpes.  

If you want another opinion, you might call your pediatrician.

Terri