Herpes Community
HSV or Syphillis(syphilis)

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV or Syphillis(syphilis)

I've tried to find the answer to this question...but unable...an no one to really ask. I am tested regularly for all STDs and have only come back as HSV-1...since the beginning of time!

In Dec I was on travel and played around with a couple of guys. Oral only...About 4-5 weeks ago, I noticed a small, round reddish area on the shaft of my penis about an inch below the head. It did not hurt, itch, just looked like almost a burn. I thought nothing of it and attributed it to a zipper injury.  I treated it with miconazole, thinking it could be a bit of yeast causing some issues.  The spot went away.

This past Saturday, I noticed he spot again. Same exact spot. I began to panic a bit. Presentation exactly the same...I did an Oraquick for HIV and it was negative, but then also went to the local clinic on Wednesday. The are never oozed, no pain, nothing. Just a reddish dot.  The doctor swabbed for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia and took blood for Syphilis. She looked at me and said "looks like herpes". They did not do the blood tests for herpes so I called one of the rapid locations and immediately had blood drawn as well.

I'm in panic mode. I'm depressed because all of my symptoms point more to syphilis than to genital herpes. Majority of posts report strong first outbreaks. Also multiple spots.

Clinic tests won't be back for 2 weeks...even the syphilis test. So here I wait. Still trying the miconazole.

So I know a diagnosis cannot be made on the Internet, but if this is syphilis, waiting another 2 weeks for a treatment seems a bit long.

If this is genital herpes - why do I have a single painless lesion?

Any help and advice would be great...I also would like to find a support group if genital herpes since I will likely lose some of my really close friends. Don't think I will ever be able to have spontaneous sex again.

waiting another 2 weeks for syphilis treatment, if that is what this is, won't make a bit of difference. no worries there.  

yes, herpes can present as a single lesion but typically isn't painless. having hsv1 previously would make a newly acquired hsv2 infection present  with less "classic" symptoms.  

I know it's hard to wait but it's the best you can do at this point.  I can help you with both syphilis and herpes test results once you get them back.  

it's the idea of herpes that is the hardest to deal with, it really doesn't affect your sex life much at all other than to avoid sex any time you have anything going on genitally.  With treatment, you can make recurrences few and far between too. If you are a gay male, being aware of herpes and the status of your partners, as well as only engaging in protected sexual contact is important since the rates of herpes, both hsv1 and hsv2, are very high in gay males.

grace
Also wondering if anyone has had the same type of presentation. It would be great.

Just thinking if the test come back as positive hsv 1 that doesn't tell me that the lesion truly genital herpes. That's the hard part.

OK.  HSV-1 (+), HSV-2 (-)
Early detection is negative for both.

I have always been (+) for HSV-1 so now I think more on the syphilis route. Even though I know that genital can be associated with HSV-1, I still am leaning toward another reason...I was in SE Asia and it appears there are spikes in prevalence in some countries.

I also have a slight fear - friend had similar presentation - and ended up being diagnosed with penile CA. If everything is negative then I will route myself to a dermatologist for an evaluation.

Still a huge wake up call for me.
having hsv1 orally makes it unlikely that you'd contract hsv1 genitally later on.  It's not 100% protection but it's up there close.