Herpes Community
HSV positive but never had an outbreak?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV positive but never had an outbreak?

Hi. My wife recently got tested for STDs as a general precaution, and while she came back negative for nearly everything, she had a 1.31 HSV 2 IGG Type specific AB result, which is positive according to the scale. The Igm tests for HSV 1 and 2 were both negative, as was the IGG HSV 1 test. She was very sexually active in college, but also very particular about her partners and always believed she was careful. My question is, if she's never had an outbreak, is there a chance that what we're seeing is a false positive? To complicate matters, her doctor called her after the results came in to tell her she didn't have anything, which doesn't make sense to me given the results I'm reading. We've been married for 3 years now have had plenty of unprotected sex, and I've never had an outbreak either, although I haven't been tested since we've gotten married. However, she has on occasion in the past had problems with painful intercourse that she thought was a yeast infection (often around her period), and now I'm wondering if those were symptoms of an internal breakout, even though she HAS had yeast infections in the past.

Anyways, I'm obviously worried and looking for advice or clarification from someone who's more familiar with this, since all I'm really going off of is test results I only sort of understand and a conflicting story from the doctor
I would think there is a very large chance of a false positive at this level. This was a herpeselect test? I recall seeing somewhere at low levels around the 1.5 mark that 70% of these go on to be proved as a false positive.

Hence the doctor may be connecting all the dots of history and knowledge of the testing to reach what may very well be the right conclusion.

You could proceed to Westernblot for your wife for a conclusive answer.

Often couples will choose not to find out any more. Testing again during pregnancies is advisable and considering birthing options, but apart from that what is really to be gained within the marriage?