Herpes Community
HSV1 Genital Herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV1 Genital Herpes

My partner has had cold sores ever since he was a child, he performed oral sex on me and I contracted genital herpes. I'm really worried about giving him genital herpes and I want to know all of this risks. If I do not have an outbreak and he performs oral sex are his chances of an oral outbreak increased? And since he already has oral herpes, and now I have genital herpes is his risk of contracting genital herpes increased. I've just heard a lot of speculation and now i'm really confused. I just want the truth. PLEASE HELP!
You are very unlikely to transmit your hsv1 genital infection to him. hsv1 genitally doesn't reoccur very often for starters and it also doesn't shed very often either. His having hsv1 orally gives him significant protection from contracting it genitally too. Just avoid sex anytime you have anything going on genitally and he's not likely to contract hsv1 genitally from you.

grace
Thank you so much this was a big help and relief!
I've read threads about this. Since you got HSV-1 from him, there is virtually no chance that you'll spread it to him again because your strain and his strain are identicle. It is theorized that there are various strains of HSV-1 that are different for each human, but since you acquired this, you are not going to transmit it back to him. He already has it and what he had he gave to you, so now you both have the same thing. I've read multiple posts by HHH and he agrees with the same.
Just to expand on that a bit, if you were to break up with your boyfriend, then there is a chance you could spread this to someone else (very low chance) even if they don't have HSV-1 already. If they do have HSV-1 already then it would be extremely, extremely rare to transmit since they already have it regardless of its location. I believe Grace said the chances of spreading HSV-1 to someone who already has it (even if it isn't the same strain of HSV-1) is like winning the lottery; extremely unlikely, but then again, anything is possible.