Herpes Community
HSV1 Genital Question

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV1 Genital Question

I have HSV-1 Genitally.  The culture came back positive for HSV1 on my sores so I'm 100% sure.  I will be telling every love interest in my future about this, but my question is; if they have had a cold sore(HSV1) in their past, can I still spread it to them genitally?  Is it 100% impossible for me to give it to them if they have already been exposed to it in their past?

If they have never been exposed to HSV1(no cold sores) What is the risk of spreading it if I'm using a condom and am not showing any symptoms??  

Thank you in advance!
if they already  have hsv1, it's not likely they'd contract it genitally from you.   hsv1 genitally doesn't reoccur very often and it doesn't shed much so overall, even if a partner is hsv1 -, the odds of transmitting it genitals to genitals is very low.

since you also have hsv1 facially, that is the bigger issue if a partner is hsv1 -.  it sheds far more orally .  http://www.ashastd.org/std-sti-works/Herpes/oral-herpes.html  has terrific info on hsv1 oral infections for more reading.