Herpes Community
HSV1 Transmission Rates

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV1 Transmission Rates

I need a real answers. I'm a 21 year old female and have come to terms that I have genital hsv1. My ex was not a good man, I knew this, I still stayed with him, and this is the result. I blame no one but myself. My first outbreak was 2 years ago. I had a few mild reoccurances in the first year of having it. But as I think back on it now I can't remember the last time I had a sore "down there" I do get cold sores every now and then but I honestly freak myself out if there is any type of irregularity going on with my lips. So overall my hsv1 has been mild and not life changing.

But, I did start recently seeing a new man and I know he's clean. I've mentioned my problem with him and he is extremely nonchalant but I am worrying enough for the both of us at this point. I always make him use a condom, if anything on my lip seems weird I won't kiss him or perform oral sex, I also take acyclovir twice a day everyday. But even with all this I'm terrified I will pass this on to him and that's something that would kill me. I know it's ultimately a decision made by both of us but I don't want to put him through that. ever. Last night though he put the tip in for a little bit without a condom and I freaked out. I know he doesn't always want to use one, and I didn't have a sore or tingling or anything but I still worry.

So, my question basically is what is the likelihood of passing this onto him? What are the transmission rates of hsv1 from an infected female to an uninfected male using the precautions that I do? I don't want to be a worry wart all the time and constantly be worrying that I might have given him something or triple checking to make sure there's nothing out of the ordinary down there. I don't like living this way. Please help me.
Hi, first of all where you confirmed positive for hsv1 genital as having it oral is really low odds you could contract it genital also.
Transmission rates without a sore are also based on shedding and hsv1 genital sheds 3-5% of the days evaluated so relative low. Oral sheds 9-18% of the time so its more of an occurance. Most study on transmission rates were done with hsv2 not hsv1 as is a somewhat new revelation.
I have hsv1 both orally and genitally. oh okay that's what I was wondering because everywhere only has actual rates and stuff when it comes to hsv2. I'm happy that it seems like the transmission rates are pretty low though. I wish I could get some peace of mind. Thank you for answering me though.