Herpes Community
HSV1 and transmission to toddler

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV1 and transmission to toddler

I have had HSV -1 since childhood.  I got cold sores a few times a year.  When I was pregnant, I became very transmitting it to my baby, and started 500 mg of Valtrex daily at the end of my pregnancy.  It works very well. I didn't have an outbreak for approximately 2 years.   Then, recently, I had a bunch of dental work, and one particularly bad procedure left me with two large, painful cold sores on my lip, despite my taking 2 g of Valtrex 12 hours apart.  The baby is now about two years old.  I am determined to avoid transmitting this to her, but her hands are in my face all the time, and I'm worried about her. Whenever I think she's touched my mouth, I wash her hands right away, and I compulsively watch my own hands.   Tonight, however, she rummaged around in the garbage can where I had just thrown some paper towels I had used to wipe my face. While I was cleaning up from that, she grabbed my drinking glass and put it in her mouth. I washed her mouth right away and even wiped it with mouthwash, but I'm really terrified that she caught it from me tonight. Anyone have any sense of the odds?  
this isn't really a risk for her. no reason to worry and there wasn't any reason to wash her mouth either.

you are doing the right thing - you don't kiss her on the mouth or eyes when you have obvious cold sores. no need for the compulsive hand washing either.

grace