Herpes Community
HSV2--Herpes Question

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV2--Herpes Question

This is my scenario below:  (last sexual counter with partner of 22 years at end of Nov 2011)

1)  Tested low positive for HSV2 Jan 20 2012--2.44 Igg results--(Elisa test)--NEGATIVE HSV1 result

2) Tested low positive for HSV2 Feb 27 2012--2.67 Igg result--(Elisa test)  NOTE--Antibody level increased  NEGATIVE HSV1 result

3) Tested negative for HSV2 but positive for HSV1 on the Western Blot at University of Washington on Feb 27...They noted that if the sample is not over 16 weeks send in a convalescent sample for comparison to the first for retest.

I talked to the research lab at UW and they told me that because the Elisa test increased that they would consider me to be positive for HSV2 and that it was a recent infection.  If the next WB test comes back positive that would definitely mean that the HSV2 infection was recent and that WB couldn't detect it in the first test because it was too new.  What are your thoughts?
These tests are not usually accurate, if you get smear if you have outbreaks.
Many times we see false negative or false positive in these tests.
Well, you need to get a WB 16weeks after last exposure. Not much we can tell you other than that. If the WB was done too soon, it might be a false-negative, yes.
The next one will tell the story.
If I was positive for HSV1, wouldn't it have shown up on the IGG test results as well.  I did have another IGG test performed on March 12, 2012 and that also showed positive for HSV2 and negative for HSV1.  That would have been approximately 15 weeks after my last encounter.  So now I have had three IGG tests, all positive for HSV2 and all negative for HSV1.  The WB came back the exact opposite...and that test was performed at 13 week post encounter.  I have never had any symptoms and can't imagine that three IGG tests could all come back as false positive especially done at different time intervals.  THOUGHTS anyone???
even the herpes WB still misses 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. other igg based tests miss even more than that. No too surprising at all actually that the other tests didn't pick up on your hsv1 and the WB did.

congrats on being hsv2 negative so you can move forward from this :)

grace
My point exactly.  Do you think that the WB was incorrect?  It said I was positive for HSV1 and negative for HSV2.  I can't reiterate enough that I have had three IGG specific tests that indicated positive for HSV2 and showed negative for HSV1.  I can't see how three tests could be incorrect.  Thank-you in advance.
By the way, I have never had any symptoms whatsoever.  No coldsores etc on my mouth for HSV1.
the herpes WB looks at more parts of the igg response to herpes infection than the other igg tests do. that's why we recommend it for confirming low positives.

no reason to doubt your WB results.

grace