Herpes Community
HSV2 Anal Region

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV2 Anal Region

I am a woman, 57 and was in a relationship for 1.5 years with man X.  We were living together and having unprotected sex (oral, anal, vaginal). During this time, I had anal itching and thought it was caused by hemmorrhoids. When hemmorrhoidal cream was not effective over a 2 month period, I went to a public health clinic and was tested for sexually transmitted diseases.  I had antibodies positive for HSV-1 and HSV-2.  The gynecologist examined both vaginal and anal areas but no external lesions were visible. I have never had any external lesions to my knowledge.  However, I continue to have itching from time to time in my anal area. I have twice had some blood on the toilet tissue at two separate times. No other noticable discharge.  I've looked for pictures of Herpes lesions online to know what to look for, but it is very difficult because I cannot see inside.  1) Can you please provide me a link to a medical image online and 2) It has been almost two additional years since I have had any contact. Is it advantageous at this time to take any of the **cyclovir drugs at this point?.  After reading some of the comments, it seems that the virus is for life and these drugs seem only modestly effective for the short term. Thanks for your help.
It would be best if you get the specific numeric results for your blood testing and post them here. There should be a value for both HSV1 and HSV2. There are false positive issues with blood testing, so those numbers are important.

With HSV1, the vast majority of people your age have it, even if you've never had a cold sore.

As to your anal symptoms, herpes does not cause symptoms for 2 months. This could have been several other things such as a fungal or bacterial infection. Your doctor should be testing for both if your symptoms are continual.  

No need to take any antiviral drugs if you don't want to - assuming you even have herpes. They're more so for folks who have frequent outbreaks or whose partners are HSV negative, which reduces the risk of transmission.

Thanks for your response.  From my research, symptoms last only a couple of weeks.. So, it may in fact be a false positive.  I did have cold sores as a child and our family physician said that it was HSV-1. But, I was very surprised they found antibodies for HSV-2.  

I have abstained from any type of sexual activity since 2 years ago. The time of first contact was 3.5 years ago. The blood testing was performed at a public health clinic 2 years ago.  It is probably wise to be re-tested  at this point.  A false positive would be good news, in spite of the fact that I have suffered much anxiety.

Thanks again for your help and suggestion.