Herpes Community
HSV2 Concerns

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV2 Concerns

Hi I was diagnosed with HSV2 in 2009.  I took Valtrex 500 mg per day for about a year with no outbreaks.  Then I started experiencing the tingling in my legs.  It moved to my arms and scalp.  My doctor told me if I wasn't having any outbreaks that I should stop taking it.  So I stopped taking it in July.    I had an outbreak two weeks later and decided not to use Valtrex.  I used lysine and it went away in 7 days.  Another two weeks and another outbreak.  Another three weeks then another outbreak.  I used the Valtrex the third time and outbreak went away.  Tingling went away as well.  I just had another outbreak and am in the 4th day of Valtrex and the sores and pain are gone but the tingling is still there.  Am I growing resistant to the Valtrex or does anyone think this will ever slow down?
lysine doesn't work for hsv2. even without it, your recurrence would've healed in 7 days.

tingling all over the body isn't due to herpes.

at this point you need to be seen and get a proper exam.  get tested for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally too. bv especially is known to make hsv2 more active. also consider daily suppressive therapy again to prevent recurrences. Only taking it for ob's, doesn't prevent recurrences at all - you have to take it daily for that to occur.

grace
Hi Grace
I did go see a neurologist and he said I had post herpetic neuralgia from taking the meds, which is also why I stopped.  Should I consider Acyclovir?  How long can you take Acyclovir before it impacts my liver?  From your experience would my body ever adjust without meds?  
I'm also concerned because I was trying to get pregnant and I wanted to breastfeed.  My obgyn told me it was ok to take the Valtrex during pregnancy but we never discussed breastfeeding.  Thanks for your previous answers.  They were helpful.  
you wouldn't get phn a year into things. It rarely happens with herpes simplex and when it does, it occurs with the initial infection.   the herpes antivirals do not cause phn either.   I'd consult a different neurologist for a 2nd opinion if you are still having your all over body symptoms.

yes, you can take herpes antivirals while breast feeding :)  

you can take acyclovir for a lifetime. there are no long term side effects to herpes antivirals.

follow up and make sure you don't have a bacterial vaginal infection and go from there.

there's no such thing as your body adjusting to herpes. We have plenty of info now that shows that ob's don't dramatically decrease even after 5 years of being infected. shedding stays the same for over 20 years of being infected. The virus is active frequently and some folks get ob's frequently from it while others don't. recent research shows that some folks actually have a gene that makes them have recurrences more often than folks without that gene do.   no reason to suffer through frequent recurrences when we have medications that will decrease them significantly for you.