Herpes Community
HSV2 Genital from HSV2 Oral?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV2 Genital from HSV2 Oral?

I've been seeing a guy for about a month and have been having mostly unprotected sex, as well as oral sex. He informed me he had a cold sore the previous weekend (I was out of town and we were not sexually active) which was about a week prior. I could see that it was mostly healed with a slight scab. Although I wasn't totally sure I should engage in oral sexual activity with him, I had been getting oral cold sore outbreaks since I was little. I thought we had the same virus and I didn't have to worry. However, two days later, I noticed a small pimple-like bump forming on my genitals. I got tested and the nurse said she thought it was an ingrown hair as it wasn't painful, there was only one, and I didn't show typical symptoms of the virus. I thought if I did have the virus, it would be HSV1, but I grew up with cold sores, so how could I have contracted the same virus in another area? I got the test results back today and I've tested positive for HSV2. They took a culture from the site as well as a blood test (not sure if this was also for the herpes virus or just HIV). I read it's rare for someone to transmit or even have HSV2 orally and it's really making me doubt this situation. I am very in tune with my body and this is definitely the first genital outbreak I've ever had. I don't believe it's a coincidence that the symptoms showed up two to three days after my partner had a cold sore. Could it be true and what is the likelihood?
so you had a blood test that came back as hsv2+?   If so, if you can call and get the actual test results to post here, I can better help you. All I need posted are the actual numeric results - e.g hsv1 igg 7.8 and hsv2 igg 5.9 or whatever they are.

was your culture also hsv2+?

have you ever been tested for herpes prior to this?

has your partner been tested for herpes?

you've had unprotected sex as well as unprotected oral. odds are much better that you contract hsv2 from the genital sex acts, not from receiving oral sex.   if your partner tests negative for hsv2, then you know you had hsv2 prior to him.

grace
Thanks for your response. The test came from a culture, I'm pretty sure. My partner hasn't been tested before. I've never had any kind of outbreak genitally (only orally since childhood) and therefore thought I couldn't contract the virus again from his cold sore. Two days later after oral, a lesion appeared on my genitals. The fact that oral hsv2 is so rare makes me feel confused. Could I possibly have contracted Hsv2 from his cold sore? I know there is no way to be sure without a blood test. I don't know how to approach him about taking one.
the incubation period can be as long as 3 weeks so you can't really assume that the oral you had 2 days prior to symptoms is how the hsv2 was transmitted. Only a small percentage of folks have hsv2 orally and those who do, the virus hardly sheds at all from the oral area to be transmitted to a partner.  

at this point give the clinic a call monday and get more details about yoru own testing. also have your partner seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing this week too to know his hsv2 status.

how do you approach your partner about getting tested? just be open and honest with him - you had genital symptoms, you were seen and now know you have hsv2 so you need him to get tested so you can see who has what so you can decide if you need to take any precautions together or not from this point forward.
He was the only one I've been with in two months, not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks again for your responses!