Herpes Community
HSV2 Statistics

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV2 Statistics

I have seen a large variance in statistics about HSV2 and I was wondering if anyone had some reliable resources or knowledge of the following statistics. Again, this is for HSV2

Number of people/percentage possibly infected in the United States
Number of women versus men
The number of days/percentage of time asymptomatic shedding may be occurring
The reduction of asymptomatic shedding using suppressive therapy
The reduction of possible transmission if using suppressive therapy
The reduction of possible transmission if using condoms
Any other statistics about the prevention of transmission using various methods

If there are any other interesting/relevant statistics you would like to share, that would be wonderful. If you could site your sources, that would be much appreciated.
any particular reason why these questions?

grace
I want to have "the talk" with someone and instead of saying "there is a possibility of" or "it is thought that" I would love to have some real numbers to discuss.
have you read the free herpes handbook yet at www.westoverheights.com?  it's a good resource to give to potential partners.  

grace
Yes - I've read the pamphlet and it was really helpful...it is one of many resources I've read and I have seen different stats in different sites. It sounds like this is pretty reliable, though no sources are sited for the stats.

For the purposes of this forum and others who may be interested in the stats from the site, here is what it says:

--Number of people/percentage possibly infected in the United States
About 22% of people in the US over the age of 12 show evidence of HSV 2 infection when their blood is tested by a test that accurately distinguishes between HSV 1 and 2. Of those infected with HSV 2, only about 10% know it.

--Number of women versus men
Doesn't say, but the risk is about 10% per year that an infected male would transmit HSV 2 to an uninfected female and about 4% vice versus

--The number of days/percentage of time asymptomatic shedding may be occurring
For HSV2 15-20% of days evaluated

-- The reduction of possible transmission if using suppressive therapy
The person with herpes took either Valtrex 500 mg daily or a placebo (a sugar pill or inactive substance).  The study followed the couples for a total of 8 months, drawing the blood of the uninfected partner monthly to look for infection.  The study found that the taking of Valtrex daily reduced transmission by 48% over placebo.

--The reduction of asymptomatic shedding using suppressive therapy
No information, but from what I have read it might be the same as outbreaks - about 50%

--The reduction of possible transmission if using condoms
Condoms also reduce the risk of transmission by about half.  Condoms appear to offer a bit better protection for uninfected women than they do for uninfected men.

-- Any other statistics about the prevention of transmission using various methods
When both condoms and antiviral therapy are used, transmission rates can be greatly reduced. Even then, there is a small chance that transmission can occur.

From my calculations a woman using condoms and valtrex can reduce the likelihood of transmission to about 1% if she abstains from sex during outbreaks. For men this is about 2.5%.

Again, I'd love to have sources for these stats, but I guess I might just have a more scientifically motivated potential partner than most people :-)
most of that info comes from the valtrex and transmission study in the jan 1, 2004 NEJM and the NHANES 3 &4 studies

grace