Herpes Community
HSV2-TESTING-WESTERN BLOT

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV2-TESTING-WESTERN BLOT

For anyone that has tested positive for herpes (HSV2) and their IGG test was under 3.5, YOU MUST TAKE THE WESTERN BLOT TEST!  

I had posted to this forum many times a year ago when I was tested positive by IGG for HSV2.  In my posts, Grace had asked for my result numbers, which were 2.09.  I tested twice with the same numerical result.  Grace still urged me to take the western blot test offered by the university of washington.  I was very discouraged at the time to take this test because I just wanted to be done with this and accept my results and move on with my life.  As some of you may know, it is very difficult dealing with this issue.  

About 8 months after my positive results, I one day thought that I had my first outbreak.  I went to the doctor and they took a swab and tested it.  It came out negative.  I thought to myself, maybe I should take this western blot.  So I did.  The test cost me about 150 bucks.  I called the universtiy and spoke with a lab specialists for about 30 minutes about my situation and my test results.  She urged me to take this test.  It was kind of a pain to do this because you have to order it, then take it with you to the doctor to draw blood.  My doctor had never heard of western blot for herpes so he was kind of reluctant at first but I insisted!  

A few weeks later, the results came back that I was positive for HSV1 and NEGATIVE for HSV2.  This test is both sensitive but more importantly very very specific to the virus type.  

If anyone has had an IGG result of under 3.5 and has not had an outbreak that tested positive, you need to take this test!  

Here is the web site of the university of washington:   http://depts.washington.edu/rspvirus/index.htm

Thank you Grace for your guidance and support.  None of this would have happened if you hadnt urged me to take control of my situation.  

My best wishes to everyone.  
Tags: Herpes
I'm glad you finally followed thru and got the confirmatory answer you needed :)

grace
Thanks for this info. I tested low positive twice. 1.25 each time.  No outbreaks after 8 weeks.  I will definitely take the WB test.  I can;t beleive there are so many people out there with incorrect info. and the mental anguish it must be causing them.

Thx.
Hello...and congratulations on your test results! When you tested 2.09, was your HSV 1 negative or positive?