HSV2 culture result - false positive?
Does anyone know how reliable a culture result is for the testing of a HSV2? An open sore on my girlfriend's outter labia was swabbed and eventhough her OBGYN didnt think it looked like a herpes sore, it came back positive.  I've been tested (blood test) a few weeks later and was negative. Then I read that it could take up to 4 months for antibodies to develop to a detectable level. So at 4 months since we first had sex I had the same test done and it was still negative. Thanks in advance!
lesion cultures aren't usually falsely positive.

did your gf's lesion culture come back as hsv1, hsv2 or just + for herpes?

did your gf have type specific herpes igg blood testing done too?

grace
Hi there..and thank you!
It was HSV2 and no she didn't have the blood test.

I'm reluctantly thinking of pulling the plug on this relationship because I'm concerned about the risk of getting it especially when I perform oral on her.  I guess I was hoping for a good news long shot.
you are ending a relationship because of herpes? did you bother to do any reading about how to lower your risk?  did you know you can be 99% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from this partner with precautions?  did you know that 1 out of every 4-5 people you date will have hsv2?
I've done hours of reading and research. It took a while but I finally think I have a pretty clear understanding of the risks..98 to 99% is what I found with the use of condoms and the antiviral. What concerns me is the shedding process and how it can be outside of the condom protected area, and risk of transfer from that area to some other part of your body like the eyes.
The other main concern is my risk related to performing oral on her. Do I want to take a 1% chance of getting it orally eventhough the virus prefers the genital area? Maybe I'm misinterpreting the info I've read -please let me know if I have because I'm so frustrated and concerned it's kinda paralized the relationship :/
Thanks for your support and guidance!
D
you can contract hsv2 orally but the risk of such is too low for us to study to get stats on.  

the low risk of transmission includes shedding from areas not covered by a condom.  it really is THAT low of a risk of contracting hsv2 from a partner when you are male.