Herpes Community
HSV2 in mouth and genitals - transmission question

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I contracted HSV2 from my husband (while we were dating).  I had unprotected oral and regular sex with him and I contracted HSV2 from him in both areas - my first major outbreak was in my mouth and I was extremely ill.  During this time I felt tingling in my genital area, but did not have the outbreak for several days after the outbreak in my mouth (and it was a much smaller, less painful outbreak).  I have had it confirmed by a doctor (via a culture and blood test) that I do have HSV2 in my mouth.  I think I was vulnerable to it in my mouth, since I did not have HSV1 in my mouth - and as we know, most everyone does have HSV1 in their mouth  - very common.

Here's my question.  I just had a baby 2 months ago and I feel scared to kiss her or show her any affection due to HSV2 being in my mouth.  Even kissing her on the cheek or the forehead seems risky to me.  I have been on suppresive medicine for several months now.  If I do not take the suppresive medicine, I do have the beginnings of an outbreak quite frequently (via cold sore on mouth and genital sores) as much as once every 6 weeks to two months.  

Is there a risk to kissing my infant daughter?  Should I continue to refrain?
Like i always state people on these sites say its almost impossible to get type 2 herpes on the mouth. I believe i have type 2 on the mouth to. Like you i started there to. I believe i have herpes both places just like u to. I havent been diagnosed in both places cause ive never cultured my sores. I have type 1 on my mouth to. I had that 6 months prior before i got type 2 herpes on my mouth. I still believe like i said ealier i have type 2 in both places. They say you cant get it in both places but for me it started on the mouth so i think thats very possible then.

First to start type 2 outbreaks on the mouth are very uncommon its not the right place for them the genitals is where type 2 prefers. I rarely get outbreaks on my mouth. I think i get mabye 2-3 per year if that even.

Another thing you should do is put alchol prep pads on the sores. Within a few days instantly the sores will be gone. I use this method all the time. I use it on my face & genitals.

I would take the l-lysine sense you dont take suppressive meds. I dont take suppressive meds either.
Wouldnt alcohol prep pads sting??
Hsv2 orally doesn't reoccur very often and it doesn't shed very often. It sheds on average about 1% of days which comes out to 3 days out of the year.  As far as kissing your baby, as long as you don't have any oral symptoms present, it's very , very low risk.  Never kiss an infant on the eyes though especially.

lysine isn't very effective for herpes at all and we don't recommend it's use.

grace