Herpes Community
HSV2 question

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV2 question

I had unprotected vaginal sex with an hsv2 positive woman. It was a onetime encounter. I didn’t see an outbreak on her. I have tested for hsv2 using the hepeselect Igg at 6, 8, and at 73 days almost 10.5 weeks. I will test @ 12 weeks but I need to know right now where I stand. I have a partner, and I want to protect her. Please advise.

1) Odds of person catching it in a onetime encounter
2) At 73 days how reliable is the igg blood test (what percentage).

Note: I have hsv1; I don’t know how that affects anything.

Avatar n tn
hard to say, there are no studies that define precisely the seroconversion probabilities at 10wk.
if you're negative at week 10, it's a pretty good indication that most probably you are indeed negative. most people will have seroconverted at 10wks and almost all of them will seroconvert by 12 wks.
Avatar n tn
The odds are very low.
Get a final test at 16 weeks so you can get peace of mind.
Thanx for the reply.

i am just trying to figure out how reliable 10.3 weeks is. is it 85% or 90?

most testing places say 12 weeks is basically conclusive. I saw terri warren say she saw it flip one from 12 to 16 weeks. I would appreciate any input.
Avatar n tn
Avatar n tn
What percentage of people are asymptotic ?

Do these people take longer to seroconversion?

Thanks for your help.
Avatar n tn
Hi, I thankfully testes negative a bit after 16 weeks. I tested through Labcorp
I had myself tested 10 times over the course of 16 weeks. It came back consistently positive hsv1 and negative hsv2. Is any further testing necessary?

My wife wants to get pregnant, so I want to be extra cautious. I did not sex with her until after the week 13 negative.

Kindly advise, much appreciated.
you way over tested as it was. no need for more testing. if you can't move forward from this, seek out a counselor for help working through your anxiety about this :)
Thanks, Grace

I am seeing a Psychologist for the guilt and anxiety; I just wanted to know medically if its ok.

Thanks again