Herpes Community
HSV2 transmission via open wounds?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV2 transmission via open wounds?

hi everyone,
i'm currently seeing a girl and have told her about my genital HSV2 and herpetic whitlow right middle finger.

she is worried and has asked me some questions and i didn't know the answers, i hope you guys can help me out.

1. If she has an open wound like a cut or bleeding scratch on her leg or arm and i also have a similar open wound (strictly non-genital, and non-herpe-site specific), would i spread HSV2 to her if we somehow accidentally made contact?

2. i've read that it takes a certain amount of the virus like a open lesion before it can spread to someone else. But what about blood transfusion?

3. Are my herpes outbreaks site specific? like it always happens on my right middle finger only and also only on a certain part of my genitalia? It won't recur on my left hand or other right hand fingers?

4. When does asymptomatic shedding of the virus occur? i've read somewhere that its 7 to 9 days in the period leading up to and after outbreaks (blisters/lesions). Is this information correct?

5. when i'm not having an outbreak, does this mean the virus is receding and hiding in my nerve cells, and so my bloodstream does not contain as much virus to cause infection to another person?

thanks much for your help.
I suggest you and your gf take the time to read the herpes handbook together at www.westoverheights.com.  It will answer most of the questions you both have for how to handle this in your relationship.  Also if she hasn't been tested for herpes recently she should be to see what her own status is.  If she's hsv2negative - be sure to talk about you starting daily suppressive therapy to help protect her.

Herpes whitlow only sheds when there is an obvious lesion present. The skin on the hands/fingers is too thick for the virus to get to the surface to shed like it does in the thinner mucosal area of the anogenital/oral area.  When you have a whitlow recurrence - keep it covered.  

Herpes is not a blood borne virus. It's not present in blood. You can donate blood without problems and same with a blood transfusion - you aren't going to get it from one.

The virus will not travel all over your body.  Chances are good that any whitlow ob's will be in the same hand always though it could probably appear on other fingers over time I'm sure. Most folks don't get frequent recurrences of whitlow for there to be much documentation on it long term.

It's different for everyone.  Assume that you were shedding the virus for at least 24 hours prior to an obvious recurrence.  Anything above that you can't be sure of.  Some folks shed a lot - others don't shed as much.  On average hsv2 genitally is shedding 15% of days - both with and without obvious lesions.

Herpes is not in your blood.

grace