Herpes Community
HYGIENE during outbreak- HSV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HYGIENE during outbreak- HSV

Should I be really paraboid about hygiene during this current herpes outbreak I am suffering? Should I be soaking my clothes (particularly underwear) in antibacterial stuff?
What other precautions should I be taking?
Thank you.
If you read our read before posting post on their forum,  you'll see that we ask that you just keep asking all your questions in your original thread so that it's easiest for us. Exception of course being that post about the informative website you posted - that did deserve a separate post :)

Just washing your genital area once daily in the shower/bath is all you need to worry about down yonder. Wash your hands after using the toilet or touching yourself intimately - something you were already doing anyways.

No need to do anything special to your clothing either - the virus is easily killed with soap and water. during regular laundry.

The herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com is a terrific ( and free ) resource that we highly recommend around here. There is also a terrific patient counseling video on the same site too.

grace
Hello Grace,
Thank you for your advice. It is a relief to know I can stop being totally paranoid about my clothes washing!
I downloaded the free handbook and you're right - it is very helpful. It was excellent to read about the counselling aspect as well - something I have been thinking a lot about since being diagnosed 5 days ago.
My emotional state has not been the best during this stressful time (nor my partners!) It was a huge shock and I am still trying to come to terms with it, but I must say, being able to ask all the questions here that my doctor did not answer at the time of diagnosis has helped me a great deal.
Thanks again.
I thought I'd let you know about this website I have just come across. Could you please confirm that this is misinformation? I am part of a dance group and we sometimes share lipstick...

"Remember that you can pass herpes to others, even if you are not experiencing an outbreak. This is done through kissing, sharing cups and utensils, using another person's lip cosmetics, having unprotected sex, and touching your blisters and than touching another person or another person's things. It is easier to spread during an outbreak, so if you have developed herpes, wash you hands often and take steps to prevent others from catching this virus. "
Copied from:
http://www.1001beautytipsnews.com/skincare/What-is-Herpes.html
In theory you could transmit oral herpes thru sharing lipsticks but the risk is low. However, other germs are very easily transmitted thru sharing lip products so I don't recommend it.

grace