Herpes Community
Had unprotected sex with a woman who has herpes. please help!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hi Doctor,

I'm a 50 yr old male, who has never had any kind of STD before .
A week ago I had unprotected sex with a woman friend of mine.  36 hours after the intercourse, she had an outbreak of genital Herpes.

What are the chances I was infected?
If I was, how long does it take to show symptoms?
Should I take a test? How soon can I take it?
And what should I do to protect future partners? If no symptoms show up, should I still warn them? Or is a condom enough?  

thanks for answering, and for all the good work you are doing here.

Jack
Hi Widmapole.
By the way this not Doctor forum post and I'm a victim who like to help you.
Have you tested before for all STD, When? Are you aware her sexual history? Review your sexual history! Its gives alot answers for yourself.
As per my awareness here the answers:
More chances you may get infected,
1. its unprotected sex,
2. after 36 hrs she had outbreak so may be she was having viral shedding(virus remain on the skin with out any symptoms)
If you are infected by this intercourse it will 2 to 20 days for first out break but some people take weeks,months or years.
No use of taking test now unless you develop any lesion,sore and blister if you have these take swab test immediately because the virus is very active for first 48 hrs. You should take IGG blood test for herpes 1 and 2 after 3 or 4 months of post exposure which show antibody in your blood of herpes.You can also take IGG test now if you want to make sure whether its new infection or not.
Better wait for 3 months get tested, if you want have sex you should let them aware of your condition and of course you must have safe sex(condom) but records say condom use is only 30% protection.
Hope its helps you.
Hi Jack
Its related to my previous post, How do you know her's is Gential (genital) Herpes? Any test done for her like swab test of the lesion?