Herpes Community
Handwashing
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Handwashing

I have genital herpes and have had it for two years. My outbreaks unfortunatley are quite often. I do not want to be on meds so i basically deal w/ it. My question is how long after i go to the bathroom should i wash my hands for if i have an active outbreak. I think i have developed OCD because of this. When i go to the bathroom i have to wash my hands like 5 or 6, sometimes even 7 times in a row before i feel that it is okay to stop washing them. How long do you have to wash your hands for to kill the virus if you have touched an outbreak. This is interfering w/ my daily life. I touch my belt and i am afraid it has herpes on it. I touch a pair of underwear that i took off the day before and i am afraid to spread it. I can't even do my own laundry without washing my hands after for five minutes. I hate living like this and it is taking its toll mentally. I do not know anyone w/ herpes and have no support. Someone w/ herpes please give me some input on the handwashing. i would really appreciate it. Thanks for anyones time who answers my insane ramblings.