Herpes Community
Has anyone been wrongly diagnosed with not having herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Has anyone been wrongly diagnosed with herpes?
I have been concerned about two spots on the shaft of my penis. These spots have been giving me no pain, and I have noticed no type of puss or discharge from them. I have noticed recently that one black spot is more like a cut, there appears to be a scab that has formed. I have gone to multiple doctors with my concern that this could be herpes and each doctor has told me that this is not herpes. These doctors have also said that I don't need to have a blood test as well. I had blood drawn recently to test for herpes, I hope everything comes back negative. Has anyone else been in a situation like this? I don't know why doctors would lie to me (other than to spare my mental health; the thought of having herpes is stressful), but how accurate can doctors be based on visual inspection? Every doctor I have seen said that this is not herpes, could all of them be wrong? Is it possible such a spot could have come from masturbation (ie, my nails could have been to long or I used to much pressure?)?
Following up with blood tests is the best you can do at this point. It's too far into things for a lesion culture to be of any use.  How long before you had the blood test done had you last had sex?

Could this be something other than herpes? Of course so!    Considering you've seen several providers who have actually seen this and don't feel it's herpes related is another good sign that it isn't.

grace
I had not had sex since July of 2007. I had an encounter with a woman in Februrary 2008, basically I rubbed my penis on her buttocks for only a minute. Then basically I masturbated. It took me longer to climax than normal so, there was quite a bit of friction between the shaft and my hand. About three days pasted and I noticed black bruises/spots on the shaft of my penis, so I went to the health clinic and the attending doctors assured me I did not have herpes. The doctor and nurse told me I had chaffing. I recieved a blood test about two weeks after I saw this and it came back negative. Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago and I noticed a smooth black spot and one brownish/black spot on the shaft of my penis, I went to the doctor and I was told it was a mole, (moles just don't appear out of blue) I had recently masturbated for a longer period than normal before seeing these spots again (3 weeks ago). I saw a dermatoligist last week and I was told that it looked like the spot was an ulcer caused by trauma. The spots are in the places where my thumbs come in contact with my shaft during masturbation. Upon reading this it sounds as though these spots could just be bruises, but I am concerned because the last woman I came into physical contact with most likely has herpes. The spots or ulcers cause me no pain and are very small; there are only two of them. How likely do you think HSV contraction is possible from brief penis to buttock exposure? I did not penetrate the fold of her buttock and I didn't noticed any sores on her.