Herpes Community
Have I contracted Herpes from sharing utensils/bottles?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I am currently living with my friend for the summer. He contracted genital herpes a number of years ago.Since the middle of June, I have been getting mouth ulcers every now and then. I currently have two. I am afraid I contracted oral herpes, although I can not see any visible manifestation of oral herpes on my friend. I don't think we have shared drinks(but am not certain) but there is a chance that forks etc were not washed properly after use.Also, I have had a pretty stressful summer(new job) and my diet has not been too good. Is it possible I have an innocent mouth ulcer (I get them every once in a while anyway) or do I have oral herpes?
It's possible you have HSV1 but if you do it's nothing to do with your friend you can't get either HSV1 or HSV2 from utensils or sharing drinking cups and the like ...... my guess is it's an innocent mouth ulcer if you've been overdoing things and stressed out, your friend having HSV2 is no threat to you whatsoever the only time risk would be involved as far as transmission is concerned would be if you had unprotected sex with him.
If you are concerned as to whether you have oral herpes or not then it would do no harm to get tested so that you know your status but whatever the outcome you haven't contracted anything from your Friend having HSV2

Daisy  
Thank you for your help Daisy! I currently have a girlfriend, but she does not have herpes and i have not been unfaithful. I would imagine it is just an innocent ulcer so. Out of curiosity, is there a certain amount of time between when herpes shows up from tests and when it is contracted? Is it like other viruses in that you need to wait three months to get tested?
Thanks again!
If you think you may have been exposed to Herpes either recently or even some time in the past it is best to get tested to err on the side of caution and make yourself aware of your own sexual health the time frame before tested after recent possible is around  6 / 8 weeks but not before that ay you can be sure of an accurate result anything prior to that time can return inaccurate results and cause anxiety that may be unjustified ..... if you plan on testing ask for an igg type specific Herpe test .....

Daisy
I recently learned that canker sores, which are NOT caused by herpes, occur on the insides of the mouth (cheeks) and around/on the tongue. Fever blisters, which are caused by herpes, occur primarily on the roof or floor of the mouth. So, where are your sores?

I just contracted oral herpes, and for me it started with fever blisters on the tonsils and back of throat. I also have a fever. I've had canker sores my whole life (mostly from stress), but these fever blisters (cold sores on the inside of my mouth) are a completely different animal. They are much smaller than canker sores, and there are more of them.

It sounds to me like you have a few canker sores, so no worries.
oh, and if your friend has GENITAL herpes, he cannot pass it on to you orally, even if he gives you a big wet kiss!
:)
Thanks MadBionicDog. One is under my tounge and one is at the front of my mouth,under my lip near my gum. I think it may be just canker sores. They have been quite big on occasion and i am not having any other complaints like fever or anything. Thanks for the insight!
actually what you've described could be many things.  Get them checked out by your dentist or your doctor if you aren't sure what they are.  You can even get reactions from toothpastes and chewing gums too in those areas.

unless you and your gf have had type specific herpes igg blood tests done since your last partners, you really don't know what either of your herpes statuses are. Most clinics do not include herpes testing as part of routine std testing either.  A lack of obvious symptoms either orally or genitally does not mean a lack of infection with either.  In your age group, 1/3 of folks have hsv1 orally whether they get obvious cold sores or not. It's incredibly common.

as was already pointed out, unless you are doing the nasty with your friend, you aren't going to contract their genital herpes.  Even oral herpes is only transmitted thru romantic type kisses as an adult so if your friend also has that, not a concern .

grace