Herpes Community
Having sex without a condom and my girlfriend has herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

My girlfriend has herpes , herpes type 2 genitally to be exact. She had one outbreak the whole time shes ever had herpes. That outbreak was 11 months ago and it was only 2 small bumps on her vagina. Shes never had any outbreaks since then. She takes her medicine everyday. So i was wondering if its safe to have sex with my girlfriend without using a condom? Also what is the percentage that i will get herpes too if i don't use a condom
Tags: Herpes
According to studies, HSV-2 is contagious (HSV-2 shedding rate) 15%-30% of days per year. Condoms reduce the risk by 30-50% and antivirals reduce shedding by about 50%. Those who have fewer outbreaks typically have less shedding, but there is still most definitely a risk of you contracting it even if an outbreak isn't present.

To answer your question, no it's not 100% safe because there is always going to be a risk involved, but the risk is rather small. Unfortunately, HSV-2 can shed up to 30% of days per year and asymptomatic shedding is really common with HSV-2, so she won't know when she's shedding the virus. With her taking antivirals, her shedding won't likely be at 15-30% of days per year, so your overall risk is low, but there is still a risk.
please just keep adding to your original post on the forum instead of making numerous new posts - thanks!
i think its safe, and since shes taking the antiviral medicine lowers the chances as well... dont have sex if she does have an outbreak though :) it increase your chances a lot more.  
my girlfriend is on her period. and we were still planning to have sex while shes on her period. I checked for an outbreak and she doesnt have one. I am going to wear a condom thoigh since shes on her period. And she takes her medication every day. Whats the chance of me catching her herpes this way?
her being on daily suppressive therapy, you avoiding sex any time you have anything going on genitally and using condoms is on average a 1% risk/year for you.

Recently my throat has been really dry and really sore. So i took a flashlight to the back of my throat and i noticed little small red bumps in the back of my throat . Also there are larger bumps on the back of my tongue. I have all the symptoms of strep thrpat. But ive been reading about people with herpes outbreaks in there throat. They have the same symptoms as strep throat. Is there any way of telling the difference between strep throat and oral herpes? What is the chance i do have an herpes out break in my throat? I do have herpes simplex type 2. I have never had oral sex! and i take my medication everyday. This is the girlfriend(:
no real reason to think this is an oral herpes ob. see your provider for a proper exam if you are concerned about your oral symptoms.