Herpes Community
Help Please!!!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Help Please!!!

On Friday I discovered a sore little bump about a little less than a cm big on the crease between the outer lips of my vagina and the inner one. I looked more like I "knicked" myself while shaving(no bubble or liquid) as the last time I shaved, I did it fast and hard because i was in a rush. The day afterwards, I started feeling sick....and a few more showed up. I told my boyfriend (monogamous relationship for 3 years, sexual for 2 years, my first, not his first) he has never shown ANY signs of herpes and really thinks its something else but I do understand that one doesn't have to show anything, to be infected. I also began getting dizzy and a slight fever-(99.3), I went to PP yesterday to get tested for herpes and to my dismay she said that some looked like razor burn but that one looked suspect. So, I'm waiting on the results- also my inner mouth has become swollen in some areas and my tongue looks like it has an ulcer on the tip-all quite painful. I have a feeling that it is herpes but am still hoping that it may be something else. I have looked up so many different scenerios......my one question is, wouldn't it be more likely to have had the "first outbreak" a little sooner than 2.5 years later? I don't know.....my world has been turned upside down in a matter of minutes and im really just looking for some comforting words, as I can't tell anyone....

and also being a college student and having to hide this from my parents for now.....i don't have a job, any solutions to, if it comes back positive deal with it without the expensive antiboitics?

Good Luck to everyone else out there in this situation, it's a horrible one to be in....
herpes really isn't as contagious as folks assume it is. You could've been with a partner with hsv1 or hsv2 for 20 years or more before you contracted herpes from them.

odds are your partner has never been tested for herpes. it's not a part of routine std testing.  he will need to seek out a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what this status is.  

did PP do a lesion culture on the suspect sore too for herpes?  

herpes antivirals are very cheap!!  You can get a round of acyclovir at walmart, with a prescription, for $4.  Even daily suppressive therapy is under $20/month.

In your age group, hsv1 genitally is the most common type of genital herpes. Not unusual at all to have it both orally and genitally from kissing your partner and them performing oral sex on you. shaving your pubic hair creates microscopic ( and not always so microscopic ) cuts in the skin that actually makes you more likely to contract it from a partner.  Make sure they type your lesion culture if it only comes back as hsv+. It is important to know if you have hsv1 or hsv2 genitally.

keep asking questions!

grace
thanks for your advice:) as soon as my result come back, he is going to get tested. i am almost certain it is herpes(happy 21st birthday to me!), but am also hopeful that it could be symptoms of a severe case of thrush.........its hard to tell because there symptoms are so alike.....

i have been putting abreva and lysine+ sore managers on one spot of my bottom lip where it looked like one started to develop. After a couple of days it started turning into this greenish-yellow bump and got bigger.....but there was skin over top of it and seem to be dry. My lips have been very very very dry and I STUPIDLY tried to pull of some of the dead skin(with tweezers) I accidentally took off the skin of the sore, there was no puss but to little spots started bleedingand it seems that other spots were still covered by this yellowish-green skin.
      i let it dry first without touching it or allowing it to touch any other part of my mouth and then washed it with a q-tip(soap and water) and put abreva on it and around the area that might touch it(using different q-tips for each area). do you think this was the right thing to do(AFTER pulling it off)? Im walking around with my mouth open like a dog trying to not let it touch anything. Any further advice toward taking care of this would be greatly appreciated:)

ALSO- do you think if i put a "liquid bandage" it would help to stop the speading at all?

Thanks:)
abreva isn't really effective on cold sores. they barely got fda approval to say so. it's incredibly overpriced for something that only heals them less than a day sooner than placebo :(     in general lysine isn't all that effective either.  

you've irritated the heck out of your lip.  at this point I'd just stick to a plain moisturizer on the lips.  I can't imagine how much your lips hurt at this point!!!!

do not use liquid bandage on your lips!!!!!
hi grace:) sorry for all the questions....but this week has been a very VERY emotional and hard one. the thing that is the hardest is having to hide it from my parents. not that they wouldn't be supportive but they have been through so much already this would just be another thing to cause a breakdown.......so i want to NOT tell them.

im seeing them next weekend and i am trying to learn how to not infect them for the rest of my life. that would be the worst thing imaginable for me since if i know i have it and didnt tell them......

as far as contact goes, i know it really sexual things like lip to lip kissing and more are the things that cause transmission. but is there anyway to safely touch them without infecting them? and drinks? as it is my 21st b-day today and i know drinks will be mixed. i will not share with anyone but was just curious what the chance was to transmit it through that.

If you know any risky and non-risky interations i would be greatly appreciative. i just need to know how to handle people now......without being too obvious.

thanks:)
HSV is transmitted by skin contact.  Normally like you know already kissing the intimate way (making out) provides the best conditions for transmission.  So a brief touch isn't likely to transmit but if you have an active cold sore its best to avoid such situations.  

HSV doesn't transmit well in drinks. and sharing things for grown adults.  The virus does require heat so it won't live long off the body.  Best thing to avoid is when you have a cold sore present avoid kissing and oral sex.  The rest of your body is okay.  When you don't have a cold sore the risk of transmission is low and really shouldn't stop you.  
http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn_oralherpes.cfm has terrific info on oral herpes :)
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers