Herpes Community
Help in getting a BioKit/ Surevue Rapid HSV2 Test?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hi Guys,

Is there any way to find out which doctors may offer the Biokit or Surevue Rapid HSV-2 test?

I have discordant test results (negative, a positive in 2004, subsequent negative Western Blot, another negative ELISA test) and in light of some recent vaginitis symptoms, have gotten very paranoid about my prior test results again...

I called Fischer Scientific this morning, and they've contacted their regional sales rep, but other than this, I'm not sure where else to find out more about rapid testing?

Thanks so much for any help you may be able to offer!
have you had sex since your negative WB?

has your partner(s) been tested?

why think herpes with so many negative tests? That's not rational thought.

grace
Hi Grace,

Thanks for taking the time to review my question.
I have severe atrophic vaginitis, which I'm sure you know causes all kinds of itchies-burnies, some strange tinglies, and I also get fissures & ulcerations.

Over Christmas, I got a new ulcer in a new place (they usually recur in predictable spots) and freaked out. My husband had never tested before then, but cam back neg for HSV1 and 2 via LabCorp over the new year.

I became concerned-- having tested HSV2 positive previously-- that somehow something was "missed."

My testing history:
- Neg type-specific tests thru Quest up to 2002 (vulvodynia since age 18)
- Neg Western Blot in Fall 2003 due to worsening vulvodynia & addition of ulcers & fissures
- One-off encounter with unfaithful ex in January 2004
- Neg HsV1/ POS HSV2 (test type unknown, results reported only as "Negative" and "Positive" with no numeric values) March 2004
- Neg Western Blot for type 1&2 between late July-Aug (can't find paperwork with exact dates, but was done at least 20 wks out) 2004
- Neg ELISA (Quest Diagnostics) 2.5 years later with pregnancy (Nov 2006)

Please tell me I am being completely paranoid, but because I took antivirals (Famvir & Valtrex) during the window after my initial positive test, and because in my paranoia, I still popped them occasionally with the frequent fissures & ulcers (neither that or zovirax cream does a thing for the ulcerations!), I've always had questions about the veracity of my negative tests?

I question whether the WB was affected, but find it incredibly hard to accept the 3-year-later neg test would be negative if I were truly infected? However, having a history of weird symptoms and a positive test in the mix, I just don't know what to think?

Yes, it's been many years.
I could use some closure/ certainty.
Or just some tough love and straight delivery on what an expert's opinion in this situation might be?

Thanks so much!
yes you are being completely paranoid dear!! There is absolutely no reason for more testing for herpes for you!!

Atrophic vaginitis totally sucks - been there, had that one!!  Since the skin thins, it's not unusual to get new tears and sores in new areas. keep using topical estrogen regularly , lube for sex and a barrier cream in between to protect the skin.  
Thanks so much for your words of encouragement (as always!).... ;0)

My workup from Mon just came back-- shock that it may be, type-specific Herpes IgG is <.91 for both HSV1&2, positive for yeast (which they are sending for PCR analysis, as 18 diflucan in 14 mths later, my OBGyn feels may be antifungal-drug resistant srain), and about zero estrogen on my hormone panels. I'll spare you the results of the physical, but suffice it to say, it involved a pediatric speculum and tearing upon examination...

Unfortunately, I do have lichenification developing in the areas that commonly ulcerate & fissure... they hope to be able to reverse it before it develops into a full-fledged (confluent) Lichen Sclerosis situation...

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your insight, Grace.... for the record, yes, I realize my anxiety has been totally out-of-control over this. There must be something about a constantly itchy, stingy, cracking and atrophied vagina that'll make a woman insane after 10 or more years!

Thank you again. :0)
have you ever tried fem dophilus by jarrow? You can buy it on amazon even ( store it in the fridge once you get it ).  It's a probiotic that has good research behind it showing it decreases uti's and vaginitis in females. You take it 2x/day until you've been vaginitis free for a few months then go down daily.  I swear by it myself!

are you using topical estrogen? that helps with lichens too and avoids the further skin tearing from using topical steroids to treat it.

best of luck getting things back down to normal down yonder!
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers