Herpes Community
Help interpreting test resutls

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Help interpreting test resutls

Igm came back negative for 1 & 2

Igg value came back negative for 1 and at a 3.27 for 2.  

I haven't had sex in 3 years and have never had any kind of symptoms.  None of my partners have ever had any kind of symptoms, all the sex I've had has been protected with a condom.  I've read on here that results below 3.5 can sometimes turn out to be false positives.  

The only thing I can think of that might have exposed me to the virus is the fact that my mother has genital herpes and had me vaginally.  Is it possible antibodies were passed down to me through the placenta?  My doctor wants to do retesting and said she would be absolutely shocked if I actually had 2.  Also referred me to an infectious disease doctor to get more testing done.  

Just looking for a second opinion.  
if you had contracted hsv2 from mom during birth, you would've been very ill and hospitalized soon after birth.

most people who have herpes, have no idea until tested. at this point you'll need to seek out additional testing to confirm your status. If you are in the US, we recommend getting a herpes WB blood test and how to obtain one is in our read before posting post on the forum. You don't need an infectious disease specialist for this testing either.

grace
Thanks a lot Grace, that's what I'm doing on Monda, just stressful to have to another test.  What would I have to ask for to receive this Biokit test I keep reading about?
not many clinics offer biokit testing for hsv2. you can ask if your clinic does or not.
Thanks a lot Grace.  I'm really concerned about being an asymptomatic carrier at this point.  

Just so I know, if I am a carrier, what are the risks for my current partner?  We've only engaged in unprotected oral sex with one another, with no intercourse taking place.  What are the risk values for protected intercourse, oral sex, etc etc?  I want to be able to give her reliable information so we can be safe, if she chooses to stay around of course haha.  
has your partner been tested yet?
Last exposure between us was probably more than two weeks ago.  She had an appointment set up, but they told her to come back later as the tests wouldn't be useful until then.  

After the first time she went down on me, she said she had bumps in her throat, the doctors assured her they weren't due to a herpes infection.  They cultured them anyway and they came back negative.  They attributed them to her gluten allergy and she said she's had things like that before.  She is negative for both HsV and HsV2 before meeting me as far as I know, she has been tested.  
just make sure she was tested after her last partner. herpes isn't a part of routine std testing.

get the WB for yourself and go from there.
Cool, thanks.  I'm not really especially worried, I can handle having it and dealing with all of that.  I just want to be able to keep my partner concrete anwsers, rather than saying, well my igg value was this, so, we're probably ok, that's what my doctor said blah blah blah, because she is concerned.  I prefer to operate on absolutes.

And even if I am positive, I think it's important to understand that I've done nothing wrong and I'm certainly not "dirty" right?  Someone asymptomatic could have given it to me, of course, stuff happens in life, just have to be safe.

Grace, am I obligated to tell past partners if I am positive?  I understand it's impossible to sort of pin point time of infection, I'm just wondering your opinion.  
over 90% of folks who have hsv2, have no idea until tested. It's also something that 1 out of every 4-5 of us has. It's incredibly common - just no one talks about it and heaven forbid we got something from being naked and having sex.

legally you have to tell all future partners that you are infected. if you don't and they happen to contract herpes, they can pursue legal measures against you. just not worth that as well as of course your name would be all over the papers if you were involved in a court case :(  

you can get the risk to a partner down as low as 2-3%/year with precautions.  To give you something to compare it to, the risk of becoming pregnant while only using the pill is 8%.  

keep asking questions!
I would never consider not telling a future partner, ahaha, how could you even think that of me!  

One of my biggest concerns is unprotected oral sex, what are the risks involved there?  Is it safe for me to go down on her?  Should we use condoms when she goes down on me?  What are the best precautions to take for vaginal intercourse besides condoms?  
you aren't likely to have hsv2 orally so no risk from performing oral on her .

totally up to the two of you what precautions to take. You can utilize barrier protection for oral if you want and daily suppressive therapy for you would lower her risk all around regardless of the sex act.  
Killer!  

I don't even know if I'm positive or not for sure, I just like to arm myself with as much information as humanly possible.  I think I only really have a few last questions.  

There's no possible way to know when a person is shedding correct?  Have there been recent breakthroughs in Herpes/STD research?  I enjoy learning about such things.  And, finally, would you approve of my partner and I visiting my doctor together to discuss risk together?  Just to put her at east if I am positive.  
unfortunately visiting a doctor together might not clear anything up for you both :(  the 30 mins or less of herpes education they get often leaves them unprepared to talk to couples together about herpes.

the free herpes handbook is helpful for you both as well as Terri Warren's book 'the good news about the bad news" is also excellent.

ok, I'll update this with my WB results then.  Thanks again.
Just one more thing.  A day after I got my results back, I sort of felt like my groin area was dry, not burning or irritated just dry, like I could feel all the hairs growing in or like I had a slight case of dandruff.  

I feel like this is just my head messing with me because I've already checked for bumps lesions, etc or it could just be I'm not accustomed to having the amount of pubic hair I have currently.  Could this be a sign of the virus shedding/replicating or am I just freaking myself out?  Feel like it's the latter.  
Right as I posted that the feeling started going away.  Definitely my mind just messing with me a bit.  
we call it a genitally focused anxiety - once you hear you have herpes ( or think you might have it ) , not unusual at all to start going over your nether regions with the proverbial fine tooth comb and start noticing everything that prior you wouldn't have thought twice about.  

hang in there - it does get better :)  also make sure you stop back and update this post once you get your WB results back too!
So, I went back to see my first doctor and today I just got back from seeing an infectious disease specialist and I think I sort of got the answers I was looking for.  

My mother came with me and explained all our history and stuff.  The first doctor who gave me a referral said she would really be shocked to find out I had Herpes, while the second doctor seemed much more informed and straight up with me.  I asked about WB testing and she told me all it really tell them is my igg / igm results again and that more testing wasn't really needed.  She originally told me that I really didn't need to worry about my result and that somewhere down the line, I was exposed, and I just needed to practice safe sex and everything would be cool.  That really wasn't good enough for me, so I really pressed her for more information and asked, what do I need to say to potential partners?  She said, well, if you really want to, you could say that, theoretically, there is a chance you could transmit, but since you have no symptoms and have never had an outbreak, I can't tell you have Herpes, all the tests say is you have antibodies.  She also told me that the igg / igm tests are pretty bad and that she wishes there was better testing.  

So I think I'm just gonna let it go at that and operate under the assumption that I got unlucky somewhere down the line practicing safe sex and just have to tell future partners that I'm an asymptomatic carrier, but to be frank, how to have this conversation?  I'm still confused about what she told me, she basically told me to just wear a condom and have all the sex I want, which was cool, but I'm still a little nervous I guess.  She also said, that I'm one of the rare people that actually get tested without any symptoms.

As far as specific questions to wrap this up, do I need to wear protection to have oral sex performed on me?  How can I effectively convey this information to partners?  What are the chances of me passing it?  Doc said they were astronomically low.  Can I perform oral sex on others?  Any specific times I should avoid sex?  And of course, any info I should know about would be appreciated too.
To be more concise, doc told me I didn't need to say anything, just practice safe sex and I'll be good to go.  Check myself for lesions and if I have any problems to come back in, but I most likely won't.  She said I was just like 1/3rd of the population, ahah, funny woman.  
Also, I feel like it'd be way easier if they just told me one way or the other, I'm still a little confused, haha.  Guess really I can do is be honest with my partners and wrap up!  No biggie right?
you really need to get the confirmatory WB blood testing and not assume anything. The rates of false positives are quite high and would be a shame if you went through life not having solid answers that you can get with another blood test!!

Why would my doctor say otherwise?  Why do I have to pay an additional $165 just to find something out that my doctor should be able to help me out with?
She originally said I don't have and to not worry about, just practice safe sex.  I can't really afford the extra money to get the other testing done.
your provider is either under educated about herpes testing or is just trying to make it easier for you ( and him ).  
Understood, I went to a planned parenthood today and the doctor was straightforward and on the level with me.  She was totally awesome and supportive about me having the WB and going from there.  Can't wait to put this to bed either way.  
glad you saw someone who made you  more comfortable :)
It's just so strange.  If I had never met this cool chick, I would have never gotten tested due to lack of symptoms and now here I am with a possible positive/negative diagnosis.  Just strange to think about how things work.  
I'm getting blood drawn tomorrow for my WB.  Do I have to take my kit to the pest office with my sample or with the Quest Labs send it off?  If it's the first, what's the most headache free way to do that?  
Brief update as well.  

My partner just visited the doctor and they pretty much told her that she had herpes.  
Brief timeline.

A month ago : Partner performs unprotected oral sex on me
2 days later : Small bumps appear in back of her throat, says they don't hurt, visits doctor, doctor says they aren't herpes, cultures come back negative for strep
Yesterday : She visits doctor and they say she definitely has it and that my igg value is a clear indicator that I have it.  

How likely, if I have hsv 2, is she to get contract it orally?  I'm sending out my WB tomorrow.  I just don't get why they would tell her one thing, then a month later tell her another.  
why did they tell her she has herpes?  

quest labs can send the WB off for you.
She said after the second time she performed oral on me she got some bumps in the back of her throat.  She went to the doctor and said, hey, is this herpes like what is this?  The doctor said oh my god no, you would know for sure, they would be oozy and crusty and stuff and they sent her on her way.

She just went back two days ago because she's been a little freaked out about all this stuff again and she explained all this stuff to the doctor and this time he said oh those bumps are definitely herpes and your guy's igg value (my 3.27) definitely shows it's herpes.  So they gave her bloodwork for a type specific igg test.

Now, I don't have HSV1, our only concern at this point is genital HSV2, which I'm still unsure of.  I know it's super rare for HSV2 to pass orally from the genitals.  I just don't get why the doctor flip flopped.  My girl has a gluten allergy and I'm pretty sure that's what the bumps are from, as she said they have stuck around for weeks now.  If they were herpes lesions, they would have been gone by now, correct?  

sounds like her provider is scaring her needlessly as well as not completely up to date on herpes testing :(

you'll both have better answers soon :)
That's pretty much what I thought I about.  One last question and I'll leave this alone until my WB comes back, what are the odds of HSV2 going from genital --> oral from unprotected oral sex, I've read in other places it's incredibly low, I would just like some confirmation.  
it's really low odds.

if she's hsv negative, odds are she would've had a very obvious and classic oral ob as well as also contracted it genitally too and had symptoms there.  
Thank you Grace, you've one concrete source of knowledge through all of this and I really appreciate it.  Hopefully I can be in a position to help others with some of the knowledge I've gained over the past month.  
My girl did go and tested and all her stuff came back negative.  I know it doesn't really speak for my status, but that's a huge relief.  
congrats!!
Western Blot came back today, negative for both.  HOORAY!

Big thanks to you Grace and others on this forum who have been constant sources of reliable information.  Hopefully, I can pass a lot of this stuff on to other people who are in need of it.  

Last question, if I got a copy of WB results, what would the paper say?  Just negative?  Is it worth having a copy?
the WB only reports as a + or -.  no real reason to get the paper results unless you want them to show to a future partner.