Herpes Community
Help?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Help?

I had protected sex with an old friend a few weeks ago. A few days later I had a couple bumps in my pubic area and on my stomach. Nothing on my actual penis I notice one or two on both of my thighs as well. It looks like a rash on my stomach. At first a couple of them hurt to touch and itched really badly for several days. I went to the doctors last week and my doc said it didn't look like an STD it looks like an irritation rather than herpes. So she didn't actually test me.me for anything. My partner was tested before and they said all she had was a urinary tract infection and bacterial vaginosis. But now days later she says she actually has herpes? I am terrified. What should I do? My little bumps are still on my stomach but have cleared from my pubic area. The one major bump that was on my stomach is gone but left a darker spot on the skin?
Tags: help, Herpes, test, Doctor, Health
what should you do??  go get tested bro.  and flu like symptoms with the rash?
No flu like symptoms at all. I've been feeling fine ever since it happened. Just something that looks like a rash on my stomach and a couple little bumps left. They don't really itch but at first they itched badly and hurt for a couple days.
What looks like a rash on my stomach is really just dry spots that havent cleared up in weeks and now only a couple small bumps on my stomach. Nothing in the pubic area anymore at all.
you were seen and your provider didn't think this looked herpes related. Not perfect by no means but it's a good sign.  

at this point all you can do is follow up with a type specific herpes igg blood test 3 months post encounter.  

were you ever tested for herpes before to know your status?  

grace
No I wasn't tested before. I was only tested for Gonorrhea/chlamydia and I was cleared of that. I've had multiple partners over the years tht have been tested as well and never had anything. I always where protection except for oral sex which I know I should. I scheduled another doctors appointment for this Thursday to get checked again for herpes. As I said its only been a few weeks since my encounter and now I only have one or two small bumps that no longer itch or hurt but I have dry skin on my stomach. Everything is on my stomach.
most folks don't get proper std testing done. those who do, usually are not tested for herpes.  

thursday is too early for herpes igg blood testing and far too late for a lesion culture on these symptoms.
What does that last part mean about bein too early an too late?
blood testing for herpes isn't accurate until about 3 months post encounter at the earliest.

you've had symptoms far too long for it to be worth seeking out a lesion culture of active symptoms.  

make more sense?
Yes that makes sense. I'm still going to the doctors today to get looked at one more time. But are you saying all of this to say I can't really be sure until about 3 months from now? Or that these could be symptoms of something else since I still have them?
My doctor took some blood today but she also too another look at my rash and she insisted that it doesn't look like herpes. They also never blistered up or had any liquid coming from them. Hopefully I am all clear but my results should be in by next week.
Three months is what we recommend for a conclusive answer for herpes in regards to blood tests. If you do develop new symptoms then have them cultured immediately; the sooner the better. As Grace pointed out, your rash has been there far too long to be accurately swabbed. However, if you get another rash or blister/lesion or anything unordinary then have it swabbed for herpes, which will give you a quicker answer.
your provider thinks this is something non-herpes related. what did they think it was?

for peace of mind, you can't confirm your status with type specific herpes igg blood testing until after 3 months post encounter.
Yeah she pointed that out to me that she wouldn't be aware of the type as a result to the blood testing but I believe she said if it comes back negative I should be clear but if positive it'll just raise more questions like what type do I have and that she wouldn't get results for until three months from now.

When she first saw it she said it just looked like an irritation. Yesterday she still believed it looked like an irritation. They look the same way they looked when they first started to show up. I don't remember any leakage of puss or anything. They mostly just dry up and just disappear. Right now I only have one bump which is under my navel and everything else just looks like really dry skin. No flu like symptoms at all. The only depression I have is from worrying that I could be infected. Before I heard I might be infected I was feeling great just waiting for the rash to clear up. The bump rarely itches anymore. It's just a tad bigger than before.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers