Herpes Expert Forum
Herbal Supplements for Herpes

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herbal Supplements for Herpes

I have been posting several occasions on my situation and the fact that I learned that I have herpes 1 and 2.  Like everyone that has this I am very scared and feel extremely devastated because of my carelessness.  That being said I want to fight this disease as best as I can.  So my question is what supplement would be good to take at this point even though I havent had any outbreaks yet?

I did some research and I heard good things about red marine algae...do you know anything else that could help?

Thanks in advance!
I'm not clear that there is any good research about this, you could look in the good scientific literature.  

How high is your HSV 2 antibody index value?

Terri
It's high...7.4. I spoke to you about this on another post I believe.
Terri, any suggestions?
I am not aware of any double blind, placebo controlled studies showing benefit from a non-pharmaceutical product, but I do know that there is work being done with a substance obtained from the bark of a particular tree.  The naturophathic literature would probably be a good source of information for you on this topic.  We have a naturopath in our office, Dr. Lisa Taulbee, who would definitely know more than I do about this topic.  Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Terri
Its ok...thanks for getting back to me especially on the the other topic I had.  How can i contact her?
Our clinic phone is 503-226-6678.  We make phone appointments for consultations for people who live far away.  You should make them aware that you want to take specifically to Lisa Taulbee.

Terri
Ok Terri thank you.  I actually did try to call yesterday as I got a number off your page and left a message.  I will try again Monday if I do not hear from her.  Thanks again..
I believe you have a phone appointment set up with her now, right?

Terri
Yes ma'am I hope she can help :)
I hope so too.

Terri
Hi Terri,

I am looking forward to speaking with Dr. Taulbee tomorrow.  But I am having some anxiety issues about testing.  I feel like my world was rocked when I found out I had herpies (herpes).  Lord knows I wish I was more careful and not so reckless.  
I took that 8 panel test 6 weeks after the questionable encounter where I didnt have penetrative sex with the person just genital rubbing and oral.  Otherwise I only have had sex recently with my now ex and it was only 12 times altogether in May and June for the entire year.  She was not infected and was clean of any STDs as she is a very careful person.
Do you feel I need further testing?  I just want to continue with my life and make the changes I need with the help of my psychiatrist who I am seeing weekly now.
Thanks for your help and being patient with me.  Lord knows I have been a pain! :)
You aren't a pain.  Your value is very very high for a false positive, but I did have a 4.84 that was a false positive recently.  If you want to do a western blot and you think it would help you move on better, I can order it for you through the clinic.

Terri
Thanks Terri,

Actually I meant the other STD's.  I know your the herpes expert but I just wanted your opinion.
well, you could get tested for other things, yes, and make sure there are no more surprises.

Terri
Ok well I did an 8 panel already at the beginning of the month (7/2).
That should do it, depending upon when your last sexual contact was.

Terri
Terri I mentioned above posted back on 7/26 I had an encounter 43 days before testing no penetration genital rubbing and brief oral. Other that I had normal unprotected sex with my gf.
ooh yes, I see that now.  I think your timing is fine.

Terri
Terri,

Can you tell me a list of foods I need to avoid and a list of foods that are beneficial?

Thanks,
Joe