Herpes Community
Herpatic Whitlow

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpatic Whitlow

I'm waiting on test results to determine that I have herpes.  Not sure if it will be positive for 1 or 2 but I know it will be positive.  I also know I have Herpatic Whitlow.  I have it on many fingers as I am a person who picks at her cuticles and fingers.  When I noticed the swelling and what looked like deep blisters (one's that couldn't be "popped"), I stupidly tried to pop one.  It turned in what looks like a blood blister and part of it is black (necrotic looking).  My hands have been itching so badly, I've been wringing them.  Now other areas are looking blood filled.  

I'm currently taking 3000mg of Valtrex.  Tomorrow, I'll get Zoverax cream.  

1) What can I do to relive the pain?

2)  I use my hands for work and right now cannot close my fist because of pain.  I started the Valtrex only yesterday (Sat), , I noticed the outbreak on my fingers 2 days ago (Fri), and I had the sexual encounter 8 days ago.  When can I expect enough relief that I can return to work?

3) If I continue all therapies, will I return to normal by 10 days?  (important event)

Thanks in advance.
Have you seen your provider on the necrotic side to things?  How were you diagnoised with Herpatic Whitlow or is that what you are testing for?  Was it a swab/culture?  

1. If you are in a lot of pain you may want to talk to your provider about some pain medication.  

2.  This could be something else going on. Was your provider the one who said you had Herpatic whitlow?  Blood blisters on the fingers aren't the way I have heard it described before. I will defer though to Grace on this.

3. If this is inital infection chances are possible yes but maybe not.

My question would be this to you.  Is your partner HSV+?  If not and you got this from a sexual encounter then chances are this isn't herpes.  If your partner hasn't been tested I would suggest that your partner get tested to know their own status and it would help narrow this down as well.  
I agree - this doesn't sound like whitlow going on. definitely be seen and follow up on it today.  
Thanks for your help.  I am waiting on the HSV tests to come back.  Genitally speaking, doctor said it looks like Herpes.  My mouth is textbook herpes.  I have it all on my lips AND sores in my mouth including swollen gums (gingivitis).  There is NO way the tests will be negative.

No, I haven't been diagnosed with Whitlow but given the fact that I am sure I have herpes, and I (unknowingly) used my hands to apply creams to my vagina.  

But, I am going to the doctor again today.

For those who have had Whitlow....as things are healing, are your hands/fingers super itchy???
One more question, if it isn't Whitlow, what could it be??
not many posters here have had whitlow. the 2 people I know who have had it say it hurts like  a s.o.b.  

what tests did they do on you?

what creams are you using?  acyclovir cream is relatively ineffective for genital herpes if that is what you were given.

was the valtrex dose 1 gm 2x/day for a week or more?

if your mouth is too painful to drink, ask your provider for a prescription for "magic mouthwash" ( yes that's really what it is called ).  It really helps!
I'm concerned about a bacterial infection ( or coinfection ) on your hands.
Well...I did speak with my derm.  She first thought I had Erythema Multiforme which is an allergic reaction to HSV1 or 2 as well as could be an allergic reaction to other medications, most seem to be anti-epileptic drugs.

My blood test came back positive for HSV1, negative for NSV2.  Derm took one look and determined I do have Whitlow.  As mentioned, this is my first outbreak and I probably autoinnoculated into my vagina and hands.  I pick at my fingers.  I have "cold sores" on all five fingers of my left hand and 2 on my right.  

I find it most embarrasing to have bandaids on all these fingers.

thus far, I'm taking 1g Valtex, three times per day.  I apply Abreva or Zoverax on my fingers, vagina and mouth.  I have lidocaine gel for vagina, a lidocaine rinse for my mouth, Loratab for pain (have had TONS of pain but only took once), an antihistimine for the itching (haven't tried that).  

I am seeing improvement.  My gums are less swollen.  I was able to eat today.  Still have a long way to go.

I've read a lot about a home remedy of: crushing tylenol PM, adding water, Abreva.  Its a paste that relieves pain and swelling.  haven't tried it yet.  

I pray my hands are better in 10 days...have a trip, but everything I read says 3-4 weeks.  It's misery.  I use my hands for work and this has taken me out of work more than anything else.
abreva is barely effective for cold sores. it just barely got fda approval to say it speeds the healing of them. it only heals cold sores less than a day sooner than placebo.   it has no effect on speeding healing of genital lesions so I also doubt that it's going to do much for whitlow.  same with zovirax cream - doesn't do much at all.  honestly you are probably better off for the whitlow soaking your fingers in epsom salt water or domeboro's solution to help dry out the skin and speed healing.  you might have to ask your pharmacist where the domeboro's solution is on the shelves, it's sold as a tablet you mix up and hard to see on the shelves unless you know where to look for it.