Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes / Inside Mouth

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes / Inside Mouth

I recently performed oral sex on a woman.  A week or so after, my gums on both the back top right and back top left side of my mouth began to become very sensitive and painful (more painful on the right side).  The pain and sensitivity on the back left side of my gums has started to subside but its still acute on the right side.  I'm concerned I could have a case of herpes inside the mouth, on the area(s) described above.  I went to my dentist yesterday and he said it was not/ did not think it was herpes.  I'm still concerned though because this condition presented itself around 7 days after my sexual encounter.  Is is common / likely to get a herpes outbreak inside the mouth (in the area described above) after a sexual encounter?  Can you provide some information and statistics on herpes outbreaks inside the mouth, thank you.  
It can happen that herpes show up on the inside of the mouth with first infection, yes.  Have you ever in your life had a cold sore on your lip?  If yes, then you already have HSV 1 orally and don't need to worry about this.  Did the doctor take any swab tests from inside the mouth?  

Without any testing, you can't be sure what's going on here.  However, a dentist would be the person to see and if he didn't think it was herpes, then it likely wasn't.  

I don't have any specific statistics about herpes in the mouth to share with you on this particular topic.  

Have you ever been tested for herpes in the past?

Terri
I have never had a cold sore on my lip (that i can remember).  I was  tested for HSV (1 and 2).  I came back negative for both.  It was over 1 year ago.  My dentist looked at it, did not swab it.  He said it was a longish type white patch surrounded by reddish outside.  He said it was typical gum irritation that would resolve itself in a few days.     thanks
Good that you tested negative and good advice from your dentist.

Terri