Herpes Community
Herpes, Ingrown Hair, Pimple?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes, Ingrown Hair, Pimple?

Hello everyone.

I'll make this as quick as possible.

I am a 33 year old male, and about a week ago I developed what appeared to be a slightly sore, red bump in my pubic region. Over the next couple of days this turned into what appeared to be a 'head' with puss in it. The center of the bump (not the whole bump) started to get kinda to the point where it looked like it was going to pop, similar to a pimple, or an ingrown hair.

I understand quite a bit about herpes, but haven't ruled that out in this case. I examined the bump last night and saw  what appeared to look like a little black mark in it, so I thought, okay, it's an ingrown hair for sure. However, today in the shower while washing, it did 'pop' and a little tiny bit of puss and blood came out.

I know this is typical of really anything like a pimple, or an ingrown hair, but it's also typical for herpes to react like this.

The reason for my subtle concern in this case, is the fact that I cannot see a hair in there at all now that it ahs popped, and I'm left with what appears to be hole in the center of the red bump now (where the puss and blood came out of)

If I really split hairs, I think I could say that this was more like a pimple than an actual blister, and the hole I'm left with really is just that, a hole... If I poke it, and squeeze it, a little more blood will come out. I'm looking for the damn hair, but it's not there!

So what I'm left with here is a red bump that now has a small hole right in the middle of it, that if irritated, can produce small amounts of blood, maybe a tiny bit of puss. I know it's a hard question to answer, or give your opinion, but does this sound typical of herpes?

Keep in mind, there is only one sore, it only hurts if I touch it, and I'm not sure if I would consider the hole that is now there to be 'ulcerative'.

Maybe I should approach this from another angle....

If you find it too difficult to give a good opinion based on the information I posted above, if this were herpes, what would now happen, or what should I look for.

I get mixed up with the small details when it comes to herpes. For example, would the whole red bump blister and turn into an ulcer, or can it be just the venter of the red bump?

Anyways, any opinion on the matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much for reading.
you posted several months ago to the std experts forum about herpes. why so much continued concern about it?

grace
Yes I did post several months ago about the same topic, Herpes. However, that was a different case, in a different region. Just because I asked a question about Herpes before, doesn't mean I shouldn't ask another question if something else 'pops' up.

If you read the other post, you'll note that the circumstances are completely different.

Did you have any thoughts about the question/situation above?
I did forget to mention that whatever this is does not really hurt all that much, unless my clothing presses up against it, and/or I touch it. I know that's not typical for Herpes, but I've read so many other things about peoples symptoms being super light.

Today, this bump is all red (like before), and the center where it popped is a darker red color that looks like it may, or may not scab over.. I guess it does look like an ulcer, a more or less painless ulcer, that doesn't hurt unless you screw around with it.

I'm fairly convinced it's folliculitis, the pictures greatly resembled what I have (at least before it popped), but all of these things look so similar, sometimes it's nice to get someone else's thoughts on it.

Am I correct in assuming that if this bump, or whatever it is, stays there for another week or two, then it definitely is NOT herpes because from what I understand, from the time a herpes lesion ulcerates, to the time it scabs, heals, and goes away is usually within 14 days?
Only a Test like IGG1 and IGG2 can confirm it as herpes or not after six months of possible exposure.....
I am experiencing an identical scenario, what was the outcome?