Herpes Community
Herpes & L-Arginine

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes & L-Arginine

Hi people, I have a quick question. As per previous posts I have HSV-2 and used to get outbreaks quite frequently. I am on Valtrex suppressive treatment now and do not get outbreaks.

I don't want this virus to rule my life but recently it popped its ugly head up again. This is why.

I have started working out quite hard and recently bought pre and post workout supplements. It was only after I had bought these that I read on multiple websites that excess (i.e. more than usual) L-Arginine in your diet can mean more frequent herpes outbreaks and of course these supplements both contain L-Arginine.

I don't want to waste the supplements but I don't want to risk having an outbreak because of them.

Does anyone know if L-arginine can lead to more frequent outbreaks (apparently it promotes the replication of the virus and thus leads to an outbreak)?

Is it HSV-1 (cold sores) or HSV-2 (genital) as well?

If I am taking 500mg valtrex/day is that enough to stop the outbreaks but still use the supplements?

Should I think about taking L-Lysine to counter the L-Arginine after my workouts?
the arginine/lysine theory of herpes was disproven many years ago. they are even using arginine to treat herpes in some research.

you are on daily suppressive therapy so it shouldn't be an issue.

you have multiple posts going on on the forum. it's most helpful if you just keep asking all your questions in one post instead of making new ones each time. we ask this in our read before posting post located under the important announcements tab on the forum. thanks!
Ooops sorry. Will do so in the future. Just thought that a lot of people might have read some of the stuff on the net about the arginine/lysine and if searching the forums it would be useful to have its own post.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Do you have any articles etc on this stuff?

If it has been disproven why are there so many websites about herpes going on about it? Shouldn't they review their information or take down the false information?

I'm sure a lot of people go to a lot of trouble to make sure their lysine instake is more than their arginine intake, or like I was thinking, avoid products altogether that are high in arginine.
no up to date reputable herpes website touts lysine for herpes dear.    Many websites get paid to talk about alternative treatments for herpes so they do so regardless of what the research says.  
I would like a source that actually disproves the Lysine/Arginine theory. Because i've read many stories of people taking Arginine and then having a breakout shortly after. Is this all a coincidence?