Herpes Community
Herpes- Taking antivirals or not?? Looking for real help..

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I had unprotected oral sex from a woman a month ago.  The week after it was itching all around the boxer area mainly buttocks.  It really scared me me when a tiny red crater like lesion appeared on the head of the penis, but is %100 painless.  Another small redness on the shaft.  I went to the doctor and the swab for herpes came back positive.  The doctor prescribed 10 days of valtrex 3 times a day with a few refills, but i haven't taken it yet.  From what I've read this virus is with you for life.  The first outbreak, which in my case hasn't been that bad, is always the worst.  If i want my body to build up a natural immunity for less outbreak in the future should i just keep the antvirals in the drawer.  I know any doctor is going to say take the meds asap, but im not really seeing anyone right now, and want to give my body time to see what it can do. Ideally I've heard the first outbreak last 2-3 weeks and the tiny redness and itching is still present for me because it's in that timeframe, but if im going to have the virus for life I dont want to rely on taking meds, when everybody says your body's immune system is the number one factor.  Should I take the meds or hold off and see what happens??? Looking for real help
i suggest you ask a doctor, outbreaks sometimes will occur later well after transmission
at this point, treating your herpes is a moot point. it's already healed and using valtrex at this point is pointless.   does treating your herpes stop  your body from developing protective antibdoies? no it does not. herpes antivirals disrupt the viral replication cycle so that the virus doesn't stay active as long. your body still started doing its part from the very moment that you were infected!!!  Whether you ever take herpes antivirals or not when newly infected  has absolutely no effect on how often you will have recurrences in the future and how much the virus sheds.

what testing did you have done? do you have hsv1 or hsv2 genitally?

do you have a regular partner?

it sounds like you have a fungal infection going on that is causing you most of your symptoms.

grace
thanks, it was a swab test, and they drew 3 virals of blood for other std test that all came back negative..i didn'tmention in the first post sharp lower back pain as well...but she didn't say on the phone call whether it was hs1 or hs2? Just that it tested positive for the herpes virus and she was calling in a script. No girlfriend right now but go figure i met the girl of my dreams last week and went to dinner, now this happens.  Just to be clear..antivirals dont affect the immune system of the body at all as far as producing antibodies is concerned? just changes the viral production cycle?
you need to call monday and find out if your infection was typed to know if it was hsv1 or hsv2. also see if herpes igg blood testing was part of your testing or not too.
From what I've read I thought hs1 was just mainly oral...what difference would that make? Any other questions/followup I should ask??
you can have either type in either location.  knowing what type you have where helps you to decide how to treat your herpes as well as what precautions to take.

have you read the free herpes handbook yet that we recommend in our read before posting?
I couldn't find that handbook.  Testing came back today positive for hsv1 and negative for hsv2. I still haven't taken the antivirals yet and have had another 2 bumps appear and dissapear since i last posted, should i take the pills and how does it differ from here on out??
really no reason to start antivirals at this point.

was that a lesion culture that was hsv1+ or blood testing?

just google handbook.
They swabbed it so I guess lesion.  They took 3 virals of blood for other std I guess but didn't say which ones...just they came back negative.  I asked how certain thebswab test was for 1 not 2 and she said absolute.
ok so you know what you have and where which is good.

recurrences should be few and far between once this initial infection runs its course.

read the handbook and keep asking questions !
Grace,
  The same symptoms are occurring as listed before, slightly worse if I had to pick.  Its going on 9 weeks now and has been itching after bump week by week,only a few of them are some bigger raised bumps, but not all, on the buttocks as well.  Small flat rash looking patches of skin on each side of the scrotum on the thighs as well.  Ive been cleaning there well with aalcohol or peroxide when needed but still no sign of slowing down.  I know I tested positive for hsv1 but should I see the doctor again, ride this out?  Is this kind of timeline normal or is it a sign of things to come that all outbreaks will last over 2 months???
no more alcohol or peroxide!!!  alcohol dries out the delicate genital skin and irritates it. peroxide is non-chlorine bleach which also dries out the skin and irritates it!!!

indeed you should be seen again to find out what all is going on now. hard to tell if it's all irritation and dry skin or if you have something else going on like a fungal infection .

grace
Alcohol started this past week so if I had to guess its not irratation.  Fungal makes sense but tested positive for hsv1, or could it be both??  Have you ever heard of an ob lasting this long tho?  Ever heard of or possible it might not ever go away? I cant get to the doc for a few days
not everything between your legs is herpes related!
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers