Herpes Community
Herpes & Weight Loss?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes & Weight Loss?

Hello. My friend was diagnosed with herpes (HSV2) in february this year. Since then he complains that she has lost weight - he used to be 185 lbs forever, and is now down around 175 lbs since earlier this year, basically since he started having outbreaks.

Is weight loss a documented symptom of HSV2? (anyone with that experience?)
No, it's not. But weight loss could be  the result of stress that is directly related to having the virus. In other words, the stress of the diagnosis could have caused him to stop eating as much so that he lost weight. But 10# in 3 months isn't that much. That's like 3 pounds a month. Maybe he's working out more or just eating less in general and it has nothing to do with herpes.

Not every symptom that a person has is a result of herpes.
I was just recently diagnosed HSV1 (one lesion on thigh).  I can tell you I was back at the doctor 6 days of taking 800mg Zovirax 5 x daily and had lost 4 pounds.  When I started the med. I was only nauseated with no vomiting.  My appetite had even increased.  So I know it affected my weight, if that helps.